Basically my car sucks balls

peachtits

Beer Pong Champ
Oct 27, 2005
upstate ny
i hate my supra... ever since ive put it on the road its been problems... i fix them and oohh theres another one.. today it just decided to die in the middle of the road.. lucky for me it was on a hill so i rolled it into a parkin lot and there it sits.. and just sits there and doesnt fire.. turns over for ever and doesnt fire.. so anyway to narrow down what it could be.. so i can get it running and sell it

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
CPS or ground off the main harness.

Sorry you feel that way about your supra, we've all been there. Don't think for one minute though that if you get another car that is 15 years old that all your problems will magically melt away.

supraman7mgte

Shut up,bitch!!
Apr 1, 2005
Sunny California
MDCmotorsports said:
CPS or ground off the main harness.

Don't think for one minute though that if you get another car that is 15 years old that all your problems will magically melt away.
Exactly,I constantly see this complaint!

peachtits

Beer Pong Champ
Oct 27, 2005
upstate ny
well yea i know.. but still new engine.. and when i bought the car everything worked... started right up and then right from there it all went down hill and havent had a good day of running quite yet... so im just gonna get a loan and get a newer car so i dont have to deal with constant problems

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
I usually stay out of "my car sux" threads but from where I sit your biggest problem is not having any cheese to go with your whine:

http://tinyurl.com/7sewk

That was a short lived love affair wasn't it? You should've paid attention to that thread, lots of good advice in there.

My Supra has never let me down since the day I bought it new in 1987. Not once. The reason is proactive, not reactive maintenance. In other words you don't wait until things break to fix them. When you buy a used car you also buy the manual and study it until you're ready to puke. Then you go over the entire car with a fine toothed comb. It's either that or you pay someone to do it for you. If you can't do either you should expect to end up where you're at and your next car will be no different.

As someone who owns and operates jet aircraft I can tell you there is no substitute for proactive or predicitive maintenance. If you treat your stuff as though your life depends on it it'll never let you down. It takes real effort and some cash but there is no free lunch. And not to beat you up but if you'd bothered to learn even the basics you wouldn't be here asking how to resolve a simple no start problem.

Darkcyde

Workin' Man
Mar 30, 2005
La Villa Strangiato
jetjock said:
My Supra has never let me down since the day I bought it new in 1987. Not once. The reason is proactive, not reactive maintenance. In other words you don't wait until things break to fix them. When you buy a used car you also buy the manual and study it until you're ready to puke. Then you go over the entire car with a fine toothed comb. It's either that or you pay someone to do it for you. If you can't do either you should expect to end up where you're at and your next car will be no different.

As someone who owns and operates jet aircraft I can tell you there is no substitute for proactive or predicitive maintenance. If you treat your stuff as though your life depends on it it'll never let you down. It takes real effort and some cash but there is no free lunch. And not to beat you up but if you'd bothered to learn even the basics you wouldn't be here asking how to resolve a simple no start problem.

AMEN!

That wiring harness has spent 15+ years cooking in your engine bay. Get a new harness.

Any codes?:dunno:

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
I shouldn't be too hard on the guy but he needs to wise up. I have 140K miles on mine and it's always run like a watch. That's no accident. The key to making any machine last and be reliable begins when it's new. There are things you can do that go beyond the factory, otherwise you have to play catch up. If it's used you just have to bite the bullet and bring it back up to snuff. There is no free lunch.

No codes. In fact the car has never output a code, ever, except during testing. The harness is in decent shape, protected since new by thermal firesleeve where needed. Connectors have been treated every few years with an aviation product formulated for the task. The car has only minor upgrades and I limit boost as I'm more into long life than max performance. Besides, there are other things that will slate a need for speed better than any car can.

Didn't wait for the HG to blow, replaced with metal years ago when the history developed and in prep for upping the boost. CT26 is still original but it's finally starting to have more play than I like. The engine has had bypass filtration since day one and I use a custom oil formulation based on repetitive lab analysis of wear metals. I also designed and installed a turbo timer back when none were commercially available.

Fluids are synthetic and both power steering and coolant are depth filtered. I do a complete inspection every 6 months including 5 gas analysis. The slightest problem is tracked down and resolved. If you never let things go far they can't bite you. Yeah, I'm a bit anal but I sacrificed a lot to buy a Supra back then. Trust me, when a young guy forks over $30K (in 1987) worth of scrimped pennies for a brand new top of the line sports car he wants it to last forever. It hasn't disappointed. It's no longer my daily driver (or even my favorite car) but I'll always have a soft spot for it.

mcpcola

7M's = Peoples Champ
Jul 4, 2005
Greater Gulf Coast
Guys most of the problem is like mine it just an old car. Hell i have only owned my car for about 6 months and its been down 5 of them. When i got the car it ran like a top. Hell i have Reciepts for every oilchange 2500 miles or 2 months per record and for every nail in the tire and even batteries for the alarm remote. Still its an old car and things are going to go bad. I have close to 3500 in work on my NA motor now and still have a bad intake leak thats due to be fixed this next weekend. I hate my car also at the moment but when she runs again i will be so happy to be driving her all the money and no turbo won't even matter anymore.

BTW take my advice no matter how much you pay or how new all cars are POS. I purchased a 98 Amigo 4x4 ran great for 3 months then the rings in 2 cylinders dropped, I paid 5 grand for that truck and got less time behind the wheel than any other car i have ever owned. My wife and i saved for over a year and a half to buy that truck and every dollar was wasted. The cost to fix it was around 4500 for two pistons and rings. I know drive a 87 cougar i paid 300 for and its strong running at 197K miles and 5 months of abuse and doesn't burn a drop of oil so just goes to show that there is not always a ryhme or reason to the madness. Last thing i also Own a 2003 Lancer the first tranny lasted 4K miles and siezed due to one sensor failing. It took mitsubishi 2 trannys to figure our that one sensor was bad and my walking to work several times.

Cars are like Cigarettes just cause one goes out doesn't mean its time to grab another one. Speaking of which time to burn one

Last edited:

Mk3 TurboS

No not a "Turbo A"
Mar 31, 2005
Australia
LOL love these threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Stu
Check the $20 or less mod page and run an open downpipe. Boost as much as you can. Take out everything in the interior. Enjoy the rice boy mentality that nothing can touch you since you spent 200 bucks for mods on a factory turbo car.

Originally Posted by IJ
To add: Then come here and piss and moan about how crap 7M's are when it shit's itself and buy a JDM 1JZ and wander around saying "Yo" a lot.......[/
QUOTE]

This is just gold from the linked thread. Not saying that you have mistreated it but its a 15 YO car. They need some TLC.

peachtits

Beer Pong Champ
Oct 27, 2005
upstate ny
well i had alot of that done and then it runs good for a day or so and somethin else goes so i have to fix it.. and well see how it works not after some more basic maintence.. i just get so pissed off when shit breaks but then love the car when it runs right for that day or so

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Allan_MA70 said:
welcome to 1970! turbo timers have been around sence the dark ages! take that flux capacitor of your supra dude! :evil2:

Lol OK, fair nuff. I guess I didn't look hard enough back then. No internet in 87 you know ;). The one I built is still going strong and cost peanuts to make so I can't complain. It's funny you should mention flux capacitors as I also have an D in my stable. A fun car. Not as fast as the Supra by gets way more attention ;)

peachtits

Beer Pong Champ
Oct 27, 2005
upstate ny
well heres a new one.. did the basic maintence like everyone suggests... i got happy right when i was finsihed cause it started right up.. stayed idleing... didnt die.. ran like a champ and i loved it.. go to start it today... nothing went over and checked everything i did make sure everythings still hooked up and shit.. still nothing so what now?

IHI-RHC7

"The Boss"
Apr 1, 2005
Oregon
"nothing went over"? you mean no crank?
I would highly suggest removing the factory theft deterrent system. It provides the ground for the starter relay, so if it malfunctions, you won't even get a click when you turn the key. The usual cause of it malfunctioning is faulty key switches in the doors, but it's easier to remove the system.
-Jake

peachtits

Beer Pong Champ
Oct 27, 2005
upstate ny
sorry forgot to put a comment and add that all it did was turn over and didnt fire and then i went to shut my hood and i guess the hood latch stopped working also.. soo... another day without driving my car