Basic MK3 Supra vs. 1g Talon TSi

rcsupra

Supraddict
Sep 19, 2007
Harrisonburg, VA
Copied from SF.com
-----------------------
For those of you jaded by big-power MKIV races and kills, perhaps my low-power, low-buck story will ground you a little bit:hsugh: Now, I know a lot of you (perhaps older) folks remember the days when these cars were the hot rides back in the late 80's and early 90's, so perhaps some of you can relate. We've both received compliments around here from older gents who recount their individual histories with these cars...

Today is the one year anniversary of the purchase of my car. So today, a group of friends went out to the local car wash to clean and hang out. I gave the car a nice bath in honor of her 1st birthday (with me) and we proceeded to hit the road. We're a bunch of college-aged guys, and the fastest car with us on this outing would be a C5 'Vette - too much for me.

I realized it had been a while since I had really "driven" the car, as its not daily driven and when I do get behind the wheel its usually for a subdued, mundane errands trip. Because of this I like to head out to a desolate country road and open her up now and then. So I call my friend and roommate ahead in the TSi to branch off and hit a 4-lane w/median country road we know of. He actually owns a 2g GSX, but he popped the motor road racing and in the meantime a mutual friend of ours gave him his 1g TSi to drive around, together with some money to perform some mods and maintenance. The car is bone stock, with just a cone filter and some wheels. iTouch Dynolicious (~G-Tech Pro) puts it at 185whp. My car has a 50-trim CT26, 3" turbo back, Intake, and MBC@13psi - 285rwhp/313rwtq on a Dynojet.

We did a few casual rollons in 3rd gear to begin with. The car was lagging more than I expected; could be a boost leak as I've had to deal with a couple in the past. 3 honks, and he'd pull ahead ever so slightly until I came online and reeled him in with ease and blew past him. 2nd gear, 20mph at 2k rpms, on the 3rd honk he pulled instantly until the middle of 3rd when I would leave him for dead. I could hear the hiss of instant spool-up of the little 14B and the rasp of the stock exhaust expelling the vapors as he would pull forward, subdued by the scream of the 7M pulling to redline in 2nd and 3rd. I coasted into 5th and we cruised until we pulled off at a gas staion. Pulled "cars and cars" were his words. When traffic was non-existant, we tried it from a dig. I'm a complete novice at drag launches, and bogged off the line and was shut down immediately.

We tried each other's cars for a bit, and I was impressed with the Talon. Its a little bottle-rocket, down low it just pulls and pulls where the Supra has yet to wake up. Its very efficient at covering ground quickly, and its a blast to rev it out. The Supra on the other hand makes up for its lag in seamless torque and effortless acceleration above 3500rpms. I got quite a rush out of hearing my car from the outside, it screams through the gears and its much more aurally pleasing.

Thats it for now, I hope you got a sense for how much fun we had. Now I'm off to read some car vs. bike @140mph stories....

Cruise_2_by_DGSpeed.jpg

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
suprafanatic;1120434 said:
sounds like you guys had a good time! how accurate would you say those G tech pros are?

I dont know about the HP on the G tech but the 1/4 mile is righ no the money if you ask me. Last time I was at the track (Rockfalls) I had my G tech with me so I pluged it in and tested it against the track time. Car I used was my 92 NSX, G tech showed 13.49 my time slip was 13.50X. I call that pretty dam close.