Baseline dyno results

mixmastermatt

Former Nissan Junkie
Mar 30, 2006
Taftville, CT
I wanted to get a good baseline from the supra while she is still mostly stock(KN FIPK is only mod). Run was on a Dyno Dynamics, which is supposed to be a very good dyno.

~190rwhp
~260ftlbs torque

The graphs they printed out are pretty crappy though, since it won't show the peak numbers, just the graphs. Also, AFR @ 2800 rpm was 12.5:1 then went rich, 10:1 by 4900 rpm. Is this normal for a stock supra?

Proficio

Better eat your Wheaties!
Apr 4, 2005
Houston/Woodville
mixmastermatt said:
~190rwhp
~260ftlbs torque

Damn, nice torque....................:naughty:

I only dyno'd 266 t w/ 263 rwhp

Yes it is very normal for a stock supra to run pig ass rich................better then lean!!!

mixmastermatt

Former Nissan Junkie
Mar 30, 2006
Taftville, CT
I'm sure as soon as I pull off the small-ass exhaust and throw a 3" turboback on, the torque numbers will slide on down.

I know its better to run rich than lean, but sometimes being too rich is a bad thing as well. I was never really comfortable if my AFR was richer than 10.5:1, but that was in my 9.5:1 CR sentra. With a lower CR and less boost, then I guess its not too bad. I may throw my SAFC2 on the supra and lean it out to 12:1 and install my alky injection kit.

mixmastermatt

Former Nissan Junkie
Mar 30, 2006
Taftville, CT
IJ. said:
Matt: They just open the taps at anything over 75% Throttle most stock cars do this for self preservation!

I assume you're talking about closed loop to open loop transitions. I've dealt with nothing but OBDII equipped cars and understand how they work. I haven't worked on OBDI cars and wasn't sure what they use as criteria to operate in open loop. Or if they even have a closed/open loop mode or if they even use fuel trims, etc. There is so much I need to learn about this car before I can even begin to work on it.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
What I meant was most stock ECU's go full rich after 75%, this is why a modded car will often make more power and get better economy than a stock one when you're pushing hard.

supraboy77

Jul 3, 2005
ontario
mixmastermatt said:
I'm sure as soon as I pull off the small-ass exhaust and throw a 3" turboback on, the torque numbers will slide on down.

actually, your torque is going to do nothing but go up. the stock exhaust is so restrictive when you replace it full boost will come on dramatically sooner.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
supraboy77 said:
actually, your torque is going to do nothing but go up. the stock exhaust is so restrictive when you replace it full boost will come on dramatically sooner.
To back up what SBoy has posted here's my recent dyno with the only change between pulls being the exhaust!

Green line is a full 3" system with very little restriction black is a 3.5" which splits into 2 x 2.5", interestingly the Old system was 97db the new one is 88db!

<note the midrange>

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
that torque is pretty high...

maybe upped boost or something, boost spike.. i would say its running more then stock though..

mixmastermatt

Former Nissan Junkie
Mar 30, 2006
Taftville, CT
tissimo said:
that torque is pretty high...

maybe upped boost or something, boost spike.. i would say its running more then stock though..

I don't know why the torque would be higher than normal. I'm running stock boost and the only modifications are the HKS pipe and KN FIPK.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
I haven't worked on OBDI cars and wasn't sure what they use as criteria to operate in open loop. Or if they even have a closed/open loop mode or if they even use fuel trims, etc. There is so much I need to learn about this car before I can even begin to work on it.
Well the difference specifically isnt anything special. OBDII isnt a requirement to run a certain way, but closer monitoring and cleaner emissions. The EPA doesnt care how you get there.

The open loop critieria with the older cars is cold operation or WOT throttle.