barebone 7m.. which ecu to use?

ynnadkrap

Aug 30, 2010
federal way
Hi guys,

I have a 82 supra that will hopefully house a 7mgte that i have acquired. The engine came in pieces with no ECU, harness, and sensors. Its the newer 11 ribbed engine, so that would make it a 89'+ correct?

Doing the swap using my mk2 supras current w58, which ecu would i need to run AFM and 550s? turbo, manual transmission? or would any ecu work?

Also, where can i buy sensors? Im sure i can find an ecu and harness but have no clue about the sensors...

Should i just go standalone? what are your expert opinions? I would be using a 57trim ct....

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Doesn't matter which Ecu you will have to use the same color harness with the sensors to match the plugs. Pre89 is yellow plugs and 89+ is gray.

You can switch to a standalone if you'd like. All depends on how much money you want to spend.

Megasquirt is the cheapest as far as standalone a go.

ynnadkrap

Aug 30, 2010
federal way
Thanks for the reply. I was told if i went standalone (megasquirt) i wouldnt need to use sensors.... then do i just plug the holes where the sensors go?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You will need sensors for my Ecu. With megasquirt there is more options as far as what sensors you can run. But you will have to make a harness or make a patch harness.

For stock harness there are some sensors that have different plugs through the years so you would have to get either the right sensor or switch the plugs.