BallBearing not rebuildable

whenmunkysfly

scratch that...going 2jz
Jun 26, 2006
United States
I have a precision turbo that a shop I have my mk4 at said I can't rebuild the turbo because it's a ball bearing turbo. I'm wondering how true this is. anyone know if I can rebuild it or not. I also posted this in the turbochargers section but I'm really anxious to find out.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Garrett doesn't offer replacement parts for some (all?) of their ball bearing turbos, so your only option may be to replace the whole center section, which is usually 90% of the price of a whole new turbo. I just looked into it recently for someone who wanted a new compressor wheel for a gt35r.

whenmunkysfly

scratch that...going 2jz
Jun 26, 2006
United States
bigaaron said:
Garrett doesn't offer replacement parts for some (all?) of their ball bearing turbos, so your only option may be to replace the whole center section, which is usually 90% of the price of a whole new turbo. I just looked into it recently for someone who wanted a new compressor wheel for a gt35r.

so am I to assume that you can't just find a ceramic ball bearing that fits and use that?

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
bigaaron said:
Garrett doesn't offer replacement parts for some (all?) of their ball bearing turbos, so your only option may be to replace the whole center section, which is usually 90% of the price of a whole new turbo....

yups. which is freaking fantastic. :3d_frown:

Doward said:
Give Jon @ MDCMotorsports a yell - he's been on a quest to track down Garrett parts as of late ;)

yups as well. AFAIK he has found a source for everything....

starscream5000 said:
I don't know about Garrett turbos, but ITS dual BB CHRA's used in the BOSS turbos ARE rebuildable...

yups again!

whenmunkysfly

scratch that...going 2jz
Jun 26, 2006
United States
yep I am currently talking with Jon @ MDC about rebuilding it and costs to do so. He's going to be giving me a call in the near future so I can get this sucker set out to him.

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
Send it back to precision. They just rebuilt my friends PT74GTQ with a new turbine wheel, new upgraded GTS compressor wheel, new compressor housing with new bearings and seals for $550.

yeah, its not BB, but Precision takes care of their own.

whenmunkysfly

scratch that...going 2jz
Jun 26, 2006
United States
Ric said:
Send it back to precision. They just rebuilt my friends PT74GTQ with a new turbine wheel, new upgraded GTS compressor wheel, new compressor housing with new bearings and seals for $550.

yeah, its not BB, but Precision takes care of their own.

Yeah but adding a ballbearing to that mix adds about $450. If precision or MDC are going to charge me $1000 I'll just say fuck it and trash the turbo.

Or sell it on ebay "precision turbo minimal shaft play $400" (lol just kinding I would never do that)

I was just hoping I could use it on my 2jzge-t project. (I still haven't firgured out what car im going to put this engine in)

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
We've already talked. I can rebuild any BB turbo. HKS, Garrett, Precision, IHI etc.

I did some digging and found the ball bearing mfg for Garrett and IHI. It just so happens this same MFG makes the bearings that every one else uses too.

:)

I couldn't save DR J's turbo though.... there wasn't much left of it besides a center section. :-(

whenmunkysfly

scratch that...going 2jz
Jun 26, 2006
United States
MDCmotorsports said:
We've already talked. I can rebuild any BB turbo. HKS, Garrett, Precision, IHI etc.

I did some digging and found the ball bearing mfg for Garrett and IHI. It just so happens this same MFG makes the bearings that every one else uses too.

:)

I couldn't save DR J's turbo though.... there wasn't much left of it besides a center section. :-(

I still need you to call me so we can talk prices to rebuild it. Just give me a call when ever you can I not really in a hurry right now.