ball joints

rudegirl

''Blue Magic''
Jan 17, 2007
north carolina
hi everyone, quick question about ball joints.i took my supra to a tire and alignment shop 2day.i need the 2 front lower ball joints.is it better 2 buy them newor can u use used ones instead if so were can i get some new or used. i cant afford the 500.00 shop price right now trying to go a cheaper route if i can .thanks:icon_razz

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
Shop is trying to rob you. You can get a set at any local parts store for under $100. Don't recal the OEM pricing but be assured it is probably higher. Easy install as well 3 bolts and a castle nut on each side. But you will need an alignment after install.

Justin727

T-virus infected
if you do get aftermarket lower ball joints get MOOG they are servicable offer a lifetime warranty and are very good! It isn't at all hard to do and 500.00 is just out right highway robbery to the T.

If you were closer I would just have you buy the joints and help you do them. But again not a tuff job and can be done

willfish

been here since 2003
Apr 23, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa.
yea, 500,, your getting taken

an something like that, dont rely on used, might as well use the old one you got then , my opinion

iirc when I replaced the lower ones it was pretty easy like above stated with only 3 bolts, an I thought they were pretty cheep iin price....

Will

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
new ones are 30 dollars a piece from me. i know driftmotion and 935 are right about there as well.

easy to do..

willfish

been here since 2003
Apr 23, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Ckanderson said:
new ones are 30 dollars a piece from me. i know driftmotion and 935 are right about there as well.

easy to do..

yea your right man, I new they were cheap when i bought mine a few yrs ago,

just couldnt remember how much fromm all the brain cells killed from alcohol and unstable gama rays !!!:biglaugh:

Will

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
ms07s said:
You sell the upper A-arm? How much is a set? Toyota wanted something ungodly so i havent replaced those yet.

Upper A arms are available aftermarket. Its the lower ones that arent. Give me a call at the store and I can get you a quote on the uppers.

willfish

been here since 2003
Apr 23, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa.
i think if i remember , to chech the lower one , you jack up the wheel, , an wiggle the tire up an down an if theres any play, that you need them,

isnt it side to side play for the top ??

cant remember ....

Will

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
ive come to the conclusion i also need lower ball joints at the very least...

i dont know how it happened... i only have 74k miles on the car!!! but the car wanders all over the road. the wider the tire i have up front, the WORSE it is. when i had 315's up front, i had to fight the car as it tram lined all the way down the road. its nerve wracking.

i jacked up the car and played musical wheels and verified faulty ball joints;

For the Record, this is how you check the lowers;

Jack the car so the tire is 2" off the ground.
take a crow bar or something of the sort and place the tip halfway under the tire
Facing the tire, lift up on the end of the bar and attempt to raise the tire.

loose ball joints allow the wheel/hub/brake/spindle assy to "click" up and down as the ball and socket move around.

i dont recally how to check the upper ball joints... i have succesfully diagnosed a 2nd Gen lexus GS400 by kicking the top of the tire while the car was parked. it resulted in a "ping" noise as the brake dust sheild reverberated from the upper ball joint slacking. i double checked upper ball joint slack on the GS by:

jacking the vehicle up
removing the wheel
placing my hand over the mating point of the spindle top to the upper ctrl arm
pushing and pulling the top of the spindle and feeling for a differential in movement of 2 pieces

jiggling the tire/wheel on the 12 and 6'oclock axis is for wheel bearing play
jiggling the tire/wheel on the 9 and 3'oclock axis is for tie rod end and steering rack play
(i found out that the latter test will Definitly verify loose/shot/missing steering rack bushings)

so that said... is Summit the best/cheapest place to order Moog lower ball joints or should i just run to napa since i KNOW They carry moog parts?