Bad Syncro? Scratching my head here.

Action

Jun 28, 2012
Washington
So within the past week, 2nd gear has been acting a little funny. Shifting from 1st to 2nd is just fine. Shifting from 2nd to 3rd is fine. However, when I downshift from 3rd to 2nd, as soon as the clutch touches the flywheel it jumps into neutral when engine braking. If I double clutch into 2nd from 3rd just to start speeding up again it stays in gear just fine. When it pops out, it almost feels like the gear wasn't all the way in to begin with. Any thoughts? Transmissions aren't my forte so I didn't want to jump to any conclusions. Thanks guys.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
If you don't find a bent shift fork, you will likely see the clutching teeth rounded instsead of sharp. Those teeth on the outside of the ring are to hold the gear. When a trans "grinds" from shifting, it is those teeth, not the gears themselves. The actual gears can not grind.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Nick M;1901047 said:
If you don't find a bent shift fork, you will likely see the clutching teeth rounded instsead of sharp. Those teeth on the outside of the ring are to hold the gear. When a trans "grinds" from shifting, it is those teeth, not the gears themselves. The actual gears can not grind.
More than likely but it's a chicken/egg thing, worn syncros that require higher shift force that bends the fork or a bent shift fork that lets it jump out of gear trashing the syncro teeth ;)

Action

Jun 28, 2012
Washington
Thanks a ton for the input guys. New fork from Toyota was less than 50$! Best news I've heard from the parts department. As soon as it started popping out I quickly changed my driving style to hopefully save those syncros, I guess I'll find out soon.

Action

Jun 28, 2012
Washington
Yeah Chris I was actually considering just doing the rebuild since the transmission has over 300k on it. And even if the shift fork isn't bent, wouldn't hurt to have a fresh one right? I called the Toyota junkyard and they have a used w58 for $550. I'd much rather spend $320 for the rebuild kit and fork.