Bad noise after motor swap.

Highlex

Jul 5, 2009
Manitoba
I had this motor running in an MK3, no signs of any bad noises.

So I pull the motor and swap it into my MK2, now it sounds like this. Any ideas?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgOqPEa2kNg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykYjw963tsc

The noise is present at idle and every RPMs, goes up steady with RPM and never changes, except it went away for 5 minutes once and then came back. Ideas? Its a very clicky ticky sound and doesn't really sound very hollow like Rod Knock.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Pull valve (cam) covers off and measure valve lash. I don't know why it would suddenly make that noise if all you did was swap it over. Did you upgrade valve springs, or mess with any of the valve shims while the engine was out?

Highlex

Jul 5, 2009
Manitoba
I didn't replace any of that, all I did was replace the engine oil pump with a new AISIN unit.

Im going to check the oil pump driveshaft pulley, could it make a noise like this?

Suprapowaz!(2);2015289 said:
Pull valve (cam) covers off and measure valve lash. I don't know why it would suddenly make that noise if all you did was swap it over. Did you upgrade valve springs, or mess with any of the valve shims while the engine was out?

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Yes. If any pulley isn't torqued down correctly it could make that noise. My first thought was crank pulley, but then it sounded too quick. That led me to believe it's coming from the valvetrain. Check all pulleys are torqued down properly and check again. Good luck.

Highlex

Jul 5, 2009
Manitoba
Drove the car today, the noise changed significantly from yesterday.

Not the noise is very hard to replicate, it happens rarely and on and off and changes frequency.

I actually think its my throw out bearing or pressure plate because when the noise is occurring and I press in the clutch pedal I can feel the vibrations in my clutch pedal..

Highlex

Jul 5, 2009
Manitoba
I believe the noise was a sticking lifter,

I added some Rislone engine treatment that is an oil additive that is supposed to quiet lifters and after driving a couple of hours around town the noise is much softer.

However a new problem has arisen and I seem to have a slight misfire at idle, not consistent, comes and goes, just feels like 1 cyl missing.

The car is also burning a lot of oil, not really on startup, but after it gets warm and in boost. Im thinking the turbo seals may be leaking oil into the charge pipes.

Could this cause a misfire? I am going to check my charge pipes for any oil and also pull the plugs and inspect them.

Highlex

Jul 5, 2009
Manitoba
Another question.

I do not have my EGR blocked off, however I am not running any of the vacuum lines to the EGR diaphragm that sits on top the fuel rail near the firewall, since I don't have a charcoal canister at all. Just the vacuum ports are plugged off.

Would this make it burn a lot of oil or misfire?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Check for codes.

And we dont have lifters. Buckets and shims and unless the valve spring was broekn or valve was bent its not going to stick.

ID also hook up the egr. egr and evap are 2 different things.

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
Does that thing have a idler pulley? Take the belt off and see how it feels. My 2j made a noise like that. I replaced the bearing in the pulley for 12 bucks.

I put my hand on the power steering pump while the engine was running, and I could feel the popping. So I knew it was in the pulley system. I just had to find which one.