bad fuel pump?.

D7MSupra

Ive Infracted
Apr 6, 2008
Richmond, Virginia, United States
ok so I spent the day doing an oil change and a car wash. pampering the car. so it was running awesome all night to and from work. when I got home from work i stated doing a lil tweaking with my boost controler. i finally figured out how to make the boost spike harder. it was hitting 1 bar. i only hit fuel cut once. after this i parked the car and about 10 min i left again to go to a friend's. i didnt push the car hard at all on the way there. after a few hours i got back in it and it wouldnt start. im thinking fuel pump. any ideas on things to check would be awesome

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Next time it does it, wiggle the wires/connector at the CPS while a helper starts the car ;)

D7MSupra

Ive Infracted
Apr 6, 2008
yea so the car acted up again tonight when i came out of work. i sat there and tried to start it for a good while periodically taking moments to let the starter rest. i got out and wiggled the wires on the cps and igniter. the motor was still somwhat warm bc id only been in work for 4 hrs. note it wasnt hot just warm like bathwater warm. i gave up and left with someone else for a while.. came back about and 1.5 hrs later and it started right up. im thinking still either the fuel pump is going bad or the cps is acting up as jdub said.....

D7MSupra

Ive Infracted
Apr 6, 2008
so i left for the weekend... came back tried to start car cold and it wouldnt fire up. i rolled it off down the hill and it slowly came to life. i pulled back in the driveway and let it run till it started running correctly. then i drove it over to my friends. it was running good on the way and never died out or anything. its seems to have plenty of cold cranking amps. im gonna check for fuel pressure when i go back by loosining the feed line below the intake manifold. we tried wiggling the cps wires while turning the motor with the starter. just wont turn over and doesnt smell flooded. prolly need to check for spark to.

Last edited:

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
Try doing what Supracorwin said and jumping the pins to run the fuel pump without having the car running. This is very simple and easy troubleshooting! You will hear fuel riculating when the pins are jumped if everything is working correctly. The next time your car wont start jump the pins, if fuel isnt circulating you have pin pionted your problem. Just make sure you jump the right ones so you dont end up fixing a problem that isnt there.

-Chris

D7MSupra

Ive Infracted
Apr 6, 2008
ok well i went back the day the car quite on me an hour later and it started right up for me. since then i have been running the car harder bc it may have been loading up since it runs very rich. Seems running it harder helps. Before i was lugging her around some. Ill probably change the plugs soon with some fresh ones. ill keep posted.