Bad first start, open it up and inspect?

Take it a part and inspect for damage?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 100.0%

• Total voters

stew_7mgte

Jun 12, 2011
Fontana, CA
So my first startup didnt go as planned. A friend and i decided to see if my alphabet of hks electronics were working so we attempted to run the motor a bit early. I primed the oil system and turned the key, just cranking. Tested for spark and it was there so i tested fuel pressure and got nothing. I figured my fuel pump went bad so i grabbed a can of starting fluid and attempted to start it again. It started and so did my fuel pump. I also had forgotten about a port on my intake manifold that was left open. So car had fuel and all the air it could suck through that hole. Long story short the first start on the motor resulted in it red lining for 5 seconds until i could shut it down.

Think i should pull it a part and look for damage? It had oil throughout the motor from priming beforehand.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I would install everything. Disconnect any piggy back you have and run it.

That also would have been the smarter way to do a first start on a fresh rebuilt engine than trying to throw in some old alphabet soup.

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
It should be fine. Worst part is spinning a completely cold engine to redline, not that it hasn't broken in.

stew_7mgte

Jun 12, 2011
Fontana, CA
I get your point on returning it to stock but i am missing a few pieces to do that, and for the few seconds it did run it sounded amazing. Timing was spot on.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Don't have to have it all stock but leave the untuned old tuners out of equation.

When you start a fresh motor it needs to be broken in and should be complete and ready to drive after checked for leaks.

stew_7mgte

Jun 12, 2011
Fontana, CA
I cant take off the tuner because its running a vpc. No more maf and i dont have one to install. It was tuned before, just had a bhg. Im installing a wideband so i can watch my a/f. I agree with you but i dont have much choice unless i can get my hands on a maf.

stew_7mgte

Jun 12, 2011
Fontana, CA
Oh, i guess i didnt explain it well enough. I had a 1 inch diameter hole in the intake plenum, its after the throttle body. So it just sucked in all the air it wanted from there.