Bad Coils?

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
CHRIS EICHMAN;1163888 said:
I have the same problem with my 89. weak coil spark when i test them. No spark (that I can see)while cranking. Not just one supra, but both that I have. They both ran before disasembly. One had a spun rod bearing and the other had a bhg. I read this thread but I dont understand about the problem that you had can you tell me more about the mistake because I cant figure out what i did wrong but it seems like I did the same thing to both cars.

you gotta make sure that the pins on the intake and exhaust cam are in the correct position. meaning out of the 3 holes on each the cam and gear the pin much be in the center hole on both.

the problem actually had nothing to do with the coils.

vettedreams2001

Jun 20, 2008
Virginia
Exactly kotu, when I put them on initially I thought I had lined them up with the center one,but didn't on the exhaust. I was getting spark, but it wasn't a bright spark plus the ohms were out of spec. I checked it over again last night and possibly found the issue that caused three problems, keep it simple right? I checked my ISC or IAV, whichever source you look at, it checked out, TPS is off but shouldn't be enough to cause the idle problem, checked the EFI coolant sensor, it was good, then I checked around a bit more, my hands were getting numb (kind of cold yesterday evening) and I can't pull it in my garage, I need to sell some stuff, but I saw that the intercooler pipe was off the turbo, it was in bad shape already so I bought some aftermarket ones a couple months ago to fix the that once it was running enough to put it on some ramps, they are 3" and not the 2.5" that are stock so I need to get some exhaust adapters. I think that'll definitely solve the idle issue, the -4 boost and the over 2k rpm drop out. I know this is long and should probably be in some kind of journal and not a thread, but hey if it helps someone out without searching through like 20 threads then cool.

vettedreams2001

Jun 20, 2008
Virginia
Well it idles great now after fixing a new intercooler pipe, except if you wrap it up around 2k then it drops out, but I unplugged the TPS and it can rev it's little heart all night long, I guess I'll do some adjustment on that, still at -4 boost on the gauge, I unplug the vacuum line from the turbo pressure sensor and the needle falls up to max, might be the sensor, I just need to figure out how to test it, can't find it in Haynes, TSRM or Alldatadiy. Also hear that rod knock coming back, maybe it was too out of round, I knew I should've tested more than a couple spots, Now I have to decide if I am going to pull the motor and just rebuild the bottom end, possobly ending my marriage lol or pull it and put in a sbc but hook up a couple of the ct-26s for it, I know blasphemy, would be kind of cool though.