Bad coil but tests fine?...

apexi287

Jul 24, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Alright I've had this issue twice now and it makes no sense to me. Last night I was on the dyno doing a couple pulls everything was good, and making good power. On the last pull at the top of 4th it missed I let off went to idle and it was missing. I pulled it off and checked the coils as I've had nothing but issues with them, keep in mind my entire ignition system is brand new from grounds to plugs. Seeing as all my coils are brand new I just thought I fouled my plugs out as I'm still really fat up top in my tune.

With it idling i disconnected each coil one by one, all tried to kill the car except #1(narrowed to that cylinder). I then tested that coil and compared it to the others all were in spec at .8 ohms hot. I then just flipped the #1 and #2 coils around to make sure my connectors were still good and sure enough they were as the #2 cylinder was now the one with the issue.

So right now I have a coil that tests okay but doesn't work:3d_frown:. If someone could give me some insight that would be great. The first time this happened it was with a brand new coil straight out of the box, tested fine but just didn't want to work. Is there anyway of testing the secondary side on these coils? I can't find any other info anywhere:1zhelp:.

These aren't cheap coils and I can't keep replacing them, something just isn't right. If anyone has some thought it would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance. Setup is in my signature.

Sprmcy

Aug 15, 2008
Los Angeles, California
Check for codes. Sometimes even if the CEL is not on, codes are stored in the ECU. Try checking igniter and resistors too. I had that problem. I only replaced the Coilpack and everything worked fine.

apexi287

Jul 24, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Sprmcy;1391298 said:
Check for codes. Sometimes even if the CEL is not on, codes are stored in the ECU. Try checking igniter and resistors too. I had that problem. I only replaced the Coilpack and everything worked fine.

I run a standalone, so no codes. Ignitor is also brand new.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
New does not always mean good! Are you buying from Toyota, or a parts house? In this economy, many many products are losing their quality, in order for the supplier to not have to raise prices as much.

apexi287

Jul 24, 2005
Knoxville, TN
ForcedTorque;1392028 said:
New does not always mean good! Are you buying from Toyota, or a parts house? In this economy, many many products are losing their quality, in order for the supplier to not have to raise prices as much.

Unfortunately I think that's the issue I bought all 6 from Driftmotion, I'm not quiet sure were Aaron gets the coils from.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
In that case, I would talk to Aaron! He has better customer service than anybody. And, he probably has as much 1JZ knowledge as anybody around here to go with it. I don't know the full history on them to know if he would replace then. But, he may not see this thread. If you talk to him, he may can help find a solution.

apexi287

Jul 24, 2005
Knoxville, TN
ForcedTorque;1392665 said:
In that case, I would talk to Aaron! He has better customer service than anybody. And, he probably has as much 1JZ knowledge as anybody around here to go with it. I don't know the full history on them to know if he would replace then. But, he may not see this thread. If you talk to him, he may can help find a solution.

He may have seen this thread because he has contacted me. Have probably come to the conclusion of what you stated, as the coils being aftermarket. Mishap but things are being worked out, which all makes sense. Hopefully I won't keep having these issues. And yes Aaron has always treated me well:icon_bigg.