Bad AFM electronics or something else?

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
Yes I understand what I need to do. I'm still trying to find a meter that will read Hz. Also, a friend is sending me a KNOWN good AFM to try, since we aren't for sure if the one I was sent before is truly good or not. He tested it on one of his cars last night and it worked just fine so I will be receiving it within a few days. After that I will be able to rule out the AFM electronics if it doesn't fix my car either. But hopefully it will. If not I'll have to go buy a good multimeter and get to work on the wiring system and ECU.

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
jetjock;1839638 said:
Ownership of a tool does not make one competent in its use. Put another way the meter you already have should be adequate if used properly.

Ok, would you care to explain how I could use the one I already have to start checking things?

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Most modern dmm will have a Hz measurement function. For some it is a primary function, for others it is a secondary, requiring certain buttons to be pushed to access that function. You will need to look at the manual for your specific meter model to know for sure.

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
Car is now fixed. After trying the 3rd AFM it started right up and runs great!

Kinda funny cause back when someone said, "Why is this thread on page 9?" I was going to say I bet It won't be fixed till page 15, and look what page it's on! HAHA.

Last edited:

iruyle

Jul 17, 2012
lawrenceville, ga
Most entertaining thread. EVER.
I LOL'd more than I would at a half hour sitcom and like all the characters in this thread better too. Where's the damned 'Best of SupraMania' page?

maitai69691

Jul 24, 2005
hilo hawaii
I have had the same problem for a long time and just like you tested every thing possible and more including 3 AFM 1 was original 2nd bought on SM forum and 3rd was off a newly pulled 7m/1jz swap only thing havent tryed yet is another AFM. I feel your pain.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
jetjock;1840203 said:
What does the TSRM say about measuring hz?

Seems like nothing. I would have to look. The appendix of the 850 technician course book, it mentioned things like idle and 2000 rpm just to give you a ball park.

maitai69691;1960496 said:
I have had the same problem for a long time and just like you tested every thing possible and more including 3 AFM 1 was original 2nd bought on SM forum and 3rd was off a newly pulled 7m/1jz swap only thing havent tryed yet is another AFM. I feel your pain.

In general, having a bunch of parts that other people wanted to get rid of is a sign they might not work right.