Bacon Trim

suprasick

Hey look...a Supra!
Mar 17, 2006
Milton, Washington
After repainting the car I can't for the life of me get the trim to straighten out. The body shop sold me .25 inch 3m two sided foam tape just as the original.

Here's the bacon:

I've tried heat, bending it back, hell even tried to reason with it

Any advice?

Thanks

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
yeah, there is metal inside there....

how was it stored during paint process?

or is it rust causing that...

suprasick

Hey look...a Supra!
Mar 17, 2006
Milton, Washington
To be honest I didn't think much of it as I took it off and threw it in the back of the hatch with all of the other misc trim/car pieces.

There's no rust

Is there any hope fixing them?

f00g00

Supramania Contributor
Jul 2, 2007
Kuwait
I don't think a bacon press would work here.
There might be rust inside the trim, its a good water trap. I threw my old trim away and got some good pieces from the junkyard and used 3M double sided tape to stick it on.

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
Yes, the pre-89 trim has a metal "frame." If water gets in over time the metal can rust and start pushing the trim out, but to me your trim almost looks like it was bent during removal, that metal "frame" does distort easily.

I had the rust issue on my original trim, There was no saving it, so I found a guy on ebay who puts together trim kits from the best pieces he can source. Its a little on the expensive side but he does a little restoring to the pieces. I think his user name was xmastersgt.

toyMKIII

cars and guitars
Jun 20, 2012
Philadelphia
I've got a few extra trim pieces from an 87 (got 89 now =] )that I'd like to see get use and not waste away. If I've got that piece and its not complete shit, which some in the set are, I'll practically give it to you for the price of shipping. Pics are in the link on my sig from back when I tried to sell them..

Help a supra bro out

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Maybe you could put in on a flat table or so and press it flat again with a piece of wood and a lot of weight on it or so?

I would think someone has had this problem before and fixed it.

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
agreed it looks more like its bent than rust.

id lay each piece out on a towel and tap out the low spots if possible. couldnt hurt to try if you have the tools. id search up on body dent removal, the process is going to be similar to the hammer/dolly method.

suprasick

Hey look...a Supra!
Mar 17, 2006
Milton, Washington
Thanks for all the replies. I'm gonna try to straighten them out one more time and if they don't turn out I'm gonna start looking for some 89+ trim.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I bought a new 88 rear corner trim piece for an ungodly amount of money and then bought a full set of 89+ trim (did the tails because of this) made out of fiberglass for 265.00 from retrospect. I would go the extra though and get them out of CF if you go that route.