Back in the game but have a few questions...

sc3002

Feb 22, 2014
Dallas
Its good to be back. I bought my first 89 supra in 98. Owed 4 more over the next few years but its been 10 years since Ive owned one (switched to honda). Im not new to the mk3 and am looking to build a 91 turbo auto (mint car) that I picked up a few weeks ago with bhg but things have changed over 10 years ie knowledge, parts etc... Ive had my share of bhg and spun rod bearings in the past. I am going to put a 1jz in it but I also just purchased an 88 turbo 5 speed CHEAP! The car came with kyb and eibach, cusco sway bars, spearco innercooler, etc. The previous owner blew the hg and bought a jdm 7mgte long block a few years ago which came with the car. I only bought is because I wanted the 5 speed swap and I only gave 1200 for the whole car! My direction changed a little. I still plan on doing a 1j but for now Im going to put the entire drivetrain in my car to have a functioning car while I build the 1j (shooting for 600hp or so) which will also give me time to work out quirks as I bought this 91 having not driven it. The jdm motor is still on the crate that it came on wrapped up. Ive read lots of info on arp head studs and arp rod bolts. The car came with a complete overhaul gasket set unopened (top speed brand).

And now for my question: I want to put a reliable motor in the car. The motor on the crate is supposedly a good low mileage motor but thats just from the seller. The only reason I am opted to believe him is its on the shipping crate, no egr installed etc. Yes Im going to swap to a 1j but I also want a reliable car until then since this motor was free. Can I retorque the head bolts? And maybe slip in arp rod bolts and run it? Should I pull the head reseal it with new hg and studs? Leave it alone? Im not looking to spend alot of money on this motor I will not disassemble the head to have it milled before a new hg. But im not looking to bolt a problem into the car either. Im not looking to do any motor performance upgrades at all on the 7m. Not even the spearco innercooler (its brand new never installed). All stock 7mgte. But I dont know the real history of the motor. Can I pull the head and slap a new hg on (no milling) with arp studs as long as the previous gasket wasnt blown?

What do the seasoned 7m guys think?

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
I've runned A Felpro gasket for over 40K miles on my 7M. Pushing 15 psi. No BHG here, it required a 2.0mm Mhg. but i still have no BHG. just torqued stock head bolts to 76ft/lbs.
As for ARP rod bolts i have a set still in the packaging, if your interested. I have eagle rods so i have no use for them. LMK

sc3002

Feb 22, 2014
Dallas
Cool thanks. Please me on price. So you just swapped hg with no machining and retorqued the stock bolts to 76? Hmm. That maybe the way way to go. Also just just realized I posted in wrong thread. Sorry mods.

suprafreak123

Oct 23, 2013
Costa mesa
Theres lot's of people that i been reading on.that you dont have to machine the block or head if you are using a stock gasket,but if you plan to use mhg then it has to be smoother than a baby a#### and you have to do some math homework on cpr and choosing the right thickness.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
I wouldnt run arp rod bolts without line honing the rods.. my vote goes toward a retorque and throw it in and leave it stock. You can pull the pan and check bearing clearances though. Thatll let you know if it's junk or not

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk