Back End Movement problems???

GOT BOOST

Mar 30, 2005
Canada
www.supraclub.ca
I posted this in General Discussions is error.

Ok I am going to ask everyone for their advice here.

Here is my delima. I replaced my right rear wheel bearing a few weeks back. I drove on the car with out an alignment for about 4 days. I took the car to the alignment shop, they aligned all 4 wheels back to facotry specs. As it turns out, only 2 wheels were out of alignment. The passanger side front and the drivers side rear.

The car was driving perfect for 2 days after having the alignment done. The gradually I had noticed that the rear of the car would slide to the drivers side upon shifting, and slide to the passanger side when I let off the gas. At first I thought it was my imagination. As days followed the problem became worse. Now at any speed, even If I am at a constant speed, I put the clutch in, and then let it out, the back end of the car will jerk to the drivers side, when I let go of the gas, the back end will jerk to the passanger side. The car will go straight as an arrow, unless it hits a bump, then it will swerve in the back.

I took the car back into the alignment shop, they checked over the suspension bolts made sure everything was tight, realigned the car twice, then they noticed that the Drivers side lower ball joint was worn bad and the wheel would shake. Thinking this was the problem, I ordered up a new one, had it installed. The alignment shop realigned the car for free again as the guy felt bad he missed the bad ball joint during the first alignment. The ball joint did not cure the problem. The car still does the same thing.

The alignment shop also went for a test drive with someone that specializes in transmissions incase it was a transmission issue, but everything is nice and tight.

Any ideas as to what this gremlen could be?

For now, the car is sitting inside the alignment shop while they are working on it for free.

Thanks in advance,

Mike Nikolai

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
Check your rear subframe for cracks. That's exactly what happened to me when my subframe cracked.

Also check your sway bars and end links.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
more important whats this cars history, what have you done w/ it, where did you get it, any accidents, as bishop said maybe something is wrong w/ your frame. a bad frame and no matter what you keep buying stuff will just keep breaking.

Boostedstr8six

I have better SA than you
Mar 30, 2005
Near Columbia, the river
I second checking the rear toe links also. My left rear is really bad. It clunks/clinks after moderate decel and I engage the clutch or give some throttle. Lot's of wandering (shifting toe in/toe out) on rutted asphalt also.....really disgusting to drive. :ugh:

GOT BOOST

Mar 30, 2005
Canada
www.supraclub.ca
Thanks for the info guys,

I will check the rear toe links tomorrow. As for modifications, I do not have anything wild, Just Boost Controller, complete exhaust system, intake. As for the history of the vehicle I think it was in a wreck once from previous owners. But If the frame was cracked would I not have been experiencing issues way before the alignment? These issues just showed up 2 days after my alignment. Before the alignment the car had none of these symptoms. I will take another gander at it tomorrow while it is being looked at in the shop on a hoist! =)

I will post the problem when it has been solved.

Thanks for the replies.

Mike Nikolai

GOT BOOST

Mar 30, 2005
Canada
www.supraclub.ca
Ok Problem solved!

It turns out that is was the rear sway bar was a little loose. The bolt was tight enough that when it was checked it did not tighten more. However this morning Darren at Brake Check reefed on every bolt to tighten the suspension and alignment components. When he got to the rear sway bar, he was able to turn it two more times but it had to go with alot of force. That fixed the problem. :icon_bigg

Now I can shift in peace!

I gues it is nice that the car has had 6 alignments with in 2 weeks. ha ha ha.

Thankfully the Subframe was not cracked or damaged, and the rear toe clips were in good condition.

Now the car travels in a stright line and turns as if it were on rails. :icon_bigg

Thanks everyone for your help.

Mike Nikolai