Axle carnage

Vrank!!!

hahahahaha
Dec 17, 2009
TX
Just wondering how many of you have broken an axle shaft... If you could, please let me know if you were runnin a welded diff, LSD, horsepower range, and how it happened. Thanks in advance

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Welded diff is a terrible idea, LSDs come stock on any turbo and many NA, very rare to hear of an axle breaking before either the diff or gearbox.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
On a MKIII, it's extremely rare to snap an axle. Our axles are much thicker than the MKIV axles and they do experience axle failures from time to time.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
the only way to break a axle(besides extreme power) is for the boot to be torn and run out of greese long enough for the bearings to over heat for long enough and snap. and any car that is.(unless its shitty manufacture design)

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
hvyman;1477377 said:
the only way to break a axle(besides extreme power) is for the boot to be torn and run out of greese long enough for the bearings to over heat for long enough and snap. and any car that is.(unless its shitty manufacture design)

Thats not true, other cars break axles and differentials all the time. Camaros/Fireturds go threw rears faster then Ron Jeremy goes threw condoms.

Mustangs snap 28 spline axels with ~400hp and really sticky tires.

Jeep with 33+ inch tires go threw differentials quicly.

Lets not even get into FWD or AWD.

I wouldn't consider any of this "extreme power" by any means, But you did mention shitty manufacturer design witch covers about all of the above.

MK3 Supra drive train (Clutch type LSD) components (besides the transmission, excluding MK4 Getrag) are near indestructible compared to other cars.

Best demonstration of this is Here. Only one of its kind i know of in existance.