Average water temp?

Fubar231

Apr 2, 2008
columbus
Sorry for such a noob question, but i just got my aftermarket water temp gauge installed, and im not used to having numbers instead of just the stock one.

What should i set my warning for? Also, whats the average operating temp for the 7m? At what temp should i worry and turn the car off at? Like... what would be 2/3rds of the gauge? 220? 240? 260? I have no idea... I have the warning set to 240 right now so if i see that light flash ill shut the car down.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Typically my car runs everyday driving around 185F - 195F, if I'm pushing it hard in hot weather it will hit 210F (ish). That's right around where the stock electric fans kick in and it pretty much stops climbing any further then. I get super paranoid if it keeps going any higher though. I'd keep the warning at no higher than 220 myself. Always better to err on the side of caution, ESPECIALLY when it comes to keeping things cool.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I have my warning set to 190. Operating temperature is at 180 and I am using electric fans with a 185 degree thermostatic switch. So if I goes over 190, my gauges changes from blue to an amber color. Without paying attention, you will still notice the color change from blue to green. I am using a Prosport Temperature Gauge with the alarm that beeps and changes the gauge color. I use it this way so it lets me know that the engine is at 190 and I keep an eye on it to make sure it starts to drop and not keep rising and also making sure my electric fans are on.

I just believe that 220 is too late for me. Just my setup, you can use what you feel comfortable with.