Autometer gauge help

oldsking

Mar 19, 2009
Chapel Hill, NC
Okay so here's the problem, I am getting no readings on the gauges...

I bought 2 brand new cobalt series electric oil pressure and water temp gauges. I am getting no readings from the oil pressure.. I have checked my flow and oil is pumping into the motor. I also checked wiring and I have the power feeds (both light and gauge) to 2 separate sources which have juice. The grounds are good as my lights work on the gauges. Now I read the instructions and it says the sending units will self ground using the threads. Which I don't think is the case? Needs to advice on what to look for guys :(

barkz

Sep 14, 2010
Afghanistan
are you using the sending unit the gauge came with? i found out the hard way the stock unit doesnt work with the aftermarket gauge. if you are using the new sending unit id like to know how the hell you got the old one out! lol

rustfarmer

Jul 20, 2009
Centerville, TN
I prefer a mechanical oil pressure gauge and installing it was not fun. I had to use a short length of pipe into the block in order to place a fitting that I could then get a wrench to. Best done while engine is out of car, lol.

oldsking

Mar 19, 2009
Chapel Hill, NC
I used a wrench to get mine out haha I have taken the autometer unit out already a few times, just used a wrench and have no problems. I have to go from the bottom of the car of course.

Well I figured out the problem and will be fixing it tmrw. I tried all the options given and tried one of my own. Unhooked the sending wire from both gauge and SU, ran power on one end and test lighted the other, go figure no power.... so somewhere I am losing connection so the hunt will be on and the wire redone, ugh.

Thanks guys and I will post an update on the process and hopefully with good news :)

MKIIISupraGuy

Sep 14, 2009
Lousy-ana
where did you take your wires through the firewall at ? I ask because if you did'nt go through a factory location with a gromment, or make a new one with a grommett, then you will have problems. A bare wire through a hole in a metal firewall is nobody's friend, and use wire loom if you can. Sounds like your wires are pinched somewhere and shorting out.. they would have to be based on what you have said. GL with the fix !

oldsking

Mar 19, 2009
Chapel Hill, NC
I ran them through the firewall at the stock grommet but it was tight due to my mapecu install so I am thinking that is the area of the problem. I'm about to go out and work on it today so we'll see

oldsking

Mar 19, 2009
Chapel Hill, NC
Good news, all fixed :) just a bad connection with the wire that was extended haha now they are all working properly. Thanks everyone for the advice !