autometer electric oil pressure gauge

supra_ed

May 30, 2006
ohio
got an issue....i have an autometer electric oil pressure gauge and im tryin to fit the sender into the block. i heard that it is 1/8 bst thread so i got an adapter bushing- 1/8 bst male, 1/8 npt female. the bushing will only screw into block about 3 threads. i talked to a local supra owner and he said the block is threaded 1/8 npt- he just threaded his autometer sender right in. i say bullshit because mine wont...... do i have a misslabeled bushing? wat r u guys using in ur cars? ive also heard about remote mount senders but cant find them anywhere.
and i used the "search forums" and the only thing i found was 1/8 bst (which is why i bought the bushing). any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
1/8 bspt = 1/8 x 28 tpi
1/8 npt = 1/8 x 27 tpi

they are really close, and you can make a 1/8 npt work, altho it cross threads a little.

a tapered thread will not thread in all the way. it will only go so far then stop. it sounds like you have a tapered thread and not straight thread.

supra_ed

May 30, 2006
ohio
well i dont want to cross thread at all.
maybe i got the wrong bushing. do u know of anyone who sells a bushing for this? im not gonna trust just 3 threads. thanks man

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
dbsupra90 said:
1/8 bspt = 1/8 x 28 tpi
1/8 npt = 1/8 x 27 tpi

they are really close, and you can make a 1/8 npt work, altho it cross threads a little.

a tapered thread will not thread in all the way. it will only go so far then stop. it sounds like you have a tapered thread and not straight thread.
Slightly different taper angle as well :)

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
I looked and looked for an adapter (i'm not much of an online shopper) and couldn't find one. So, I bought one 1/8NPT fitting and a metric tap and die set... I then used the 1/8 x 28 die from the set on the adapter as a tester. It screwed in fine, so I cut the sender threads and it too went in fine.

supra_ed

May 30, 2006
ohio
i know its tapered so its not goin to thread in all the way, but would u trust 3 threads to form a seal? engine is on a stand right now so i dont know if it will leak or not- im not very confident in it

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
autometer sells the adapter for our car. its a direct screw in to the block and has a female 1/8 npt for a standard gauge.

autometer p/n 2269

i dont know that i would be comfortable with just 3 threads. esp an oil leak under pressure beneath a hot manifold. we installed the adapter on my friend's car and it was about 75% in before it tightened up. we have used it for quite some time and never had a leak.

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
dbsupra90 said:
autometer sells the adapter for our car. its a direct screw in to the block and has a female 1/8 npt for a standard gauge.

autometer p/n 2269

i dont know that i would be comfortable with just 3 threads. esp an oil leak under pressure beneath a hot manifold. we installed the adapter on my friend's car and it was about 75% in before it tightened up. we have used it for quite some time and never had a leak.

Was it on a Supra? I'm not sure if it may be a problem, but what about clearence of the manifold with an adapter? I know the autometer gauge is longer then stock, and with an adapter, it takes it even closer to the exhaust heat shields... I do not know for sure, so has anyone had this problem?

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
i used the adapter and the sending unit is so close to the manifold heatshield that you cant unscrew the little knobs all the way off even. I just did that and slipped the boot for the stock sending unit over the aftermarket one

supra_ed

May 30, 2006
ohio
dbsupra90 said:

autometer p/n 2269

thats an answer i was lookin for.....hopefully i wont have any clearance issues. thanks everyone, i appreciate it!