Automatic Transmission Throttle Cable (Line Pressure Cable)

Phantom

Dec 9, 2005
Los Angeles
Hi,

I just wanted to know if the automatic transmission throttle cable (kick down cable) can be replaced without removing the transmission from the car; it's the one that has an orange boot with two adjusting nuts. My car is a 7M-GE if that makes a difference.

The dealer quoted me about $100 for a new kick down cable. I'm contemplating on getting a used one from the local junkyard, but wonder if that is a good idea.

I understand that I have to drop the oil pan and remove the strainer. Would I have to also remove the valve body just to unhook the kick down cable or is this not necessary?

Any helpful hint would be appreciated. Thanks.

Phantom

Dec 9, 2005
Los Angeles
Thank you for the super fast response.

Just to clarify, is that a yes as in:
1) yes, the line pressure cable can be removed with automatic transmission in car
2) yes, the line pressure cable can be unhooked without removing the valve body

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Kind of a pain in the ass as its connected to something that looks like the wheel on the throttle bracket, but its inside the transmission. A "L" shaped pick helps out on fiddling with it.

Phantom

Dec 9, 2005
Los Angeles
From the dealer, the line pressure cable is about $100.

Is there a cheaper, aftermarket alternative source for the cable?

Thanks.

Phantom

Dec 9, 2005
Los Angeles
No, I went to one locally in So Cal.

I was thinking about going to a junkyard, but I was wondering how I would drain the transmission fluid without a container.

I will look into Champion to see if the price is cheaper. Thanks.

Phantom

Dec 9, 2005
Los Angeles
There's a local junkyard where people pay an admission fee and pull the parts themselves.

I'd prefer one where they pull the part themselves when it comes to things like the line pressure cable I need.

I had been browsing eBay also, but it seems there are no line pressure cable for sale.

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
Englewood, Ohio, United States
When I had an auto I looked everywhere for one, the ones at the junkyard were all crap. Theres a good chance your just going to have to buy one at Toyota, getting one from a junkyard thats already 20+ years old won't last too long. I think I paid $80 from my local dealership, got rid of the auto before I even used it.

IIRC, you will remove the cable at the throttle body, theres a 10mm bolt holding it ontop of the trans, then you will have to pull the pan and detach the other end.... fishing the new one in is not fun either.

Phantom

Dec 9, 2005
Los Angeles
I suppose I will order a new cable. You make logical sense; I might as well buy a new one since getting a used one may not last that long.

You paid $80 for yours? Is that including tax? If that's the case, I need to shop around a little more.