Autocross?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
mikeoc1;1687382 said:
...Back then miata was the craze and there seemed to be hundred of them and were turning the fastest times.

Pretty sure it's still that way. Drive one with some good tires through a canyon and you'll understand why too. ;)

1StTurbo

Jul 23, 2010
North Idaho
Yea they have a few Miata's out there. Neighbor runs a 240sx with the SR engine, he beats the Z06 vette most of the time. Sadly he is 100% Nissan an says my supra will push out on their corners due to the weight. Just found out today i have a blown strut so this may ruin my play day.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Definitely make sure your suspension is setup nicely before you get too serious. I'd be willing to bet that if IJ setup a car for autocross it would give most people a run for the money. ;)

1StTurbo

Jul 23, 2010
North Idaho
ahhh i so want a 1 or 2 J setup lol. But that is a ways down the road. Some have made it look so easy. I think my best bet would be to talk wife into letting me adopt 1J. Give him a room 3 squares a day and a nice shop lol

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
By the way, it's "AYE-JAY", and take a look through his "Big Shed" thread, you're gonna want to offer up a bit more than that. ;)

As far as an engine setup goes, you'd ideally want a very fast spooling turbo for good low end/mid range power. Stock turbos on our cars on any of these engines would be just fine. :)

1StTurbo

Jul 23, 2010
North Idaho
Hum well i suppose if he worked on the wife's 89 she may be willing to add more to the offer but i can not speak for her lol.

87mk111

Metal Head
Sep 29, 2009
akron/canton, ohio
i autox my n/a once. i had it dropped with eibach springs and kyp shocks. for tires i ran some avon full slicks on honda crv rims. the rims were super ugly, but they were light and i got them for 75 bucks on the craigslsit. i placed towards the botom, but it was my first time and was going up againt 40 year old men with plenty of money. it was mostly spec miatas, spec subarus, 911s and vettes. some guy even had a rousch mustnag out there. i did beat a prius and hyundai elantra tho lol.

bwest

Drafting, not tailgating
May 18, 2005
HippieTown, CA
I would say get rid of all the rubber bushings (anyone that hasn't already on cars this old is just asking for trouble - it's soooo much better when they're swapped), some decent tires (under 220 treadwear IMO), a shock w/ good compression dampening and some bigger sways than stock (adjustable rear would be good to compensate for track changes). Because it's a heavy car, you just have to be smooth - when you plant that outside front tire and squeeze the throttle, it will go and go fast. Oh, wouldn't be a bad idea to run 1/2qt over full of oil too - windage will not be an issue.