Autobody Repair Question

Eric_Odie

Apr 17, 2005
Fremont, Ca.
www.cardomain.com
i've done some removal of things on my rear hatch, such as Rear 3 Pc. Wing, Rear Wiper, and Antenna, and now there's nothing but holes!

well i was just wondering what you guys think i should use to cover up these holes.

i was told Bondo, but then there's fiberglass, then i saw something called fiberglass welding (??) it was something like that.

i want to get these holes closed before winter comes, cause i know when it rains i'll have LOTS of water back there. Thanks for your time!

Eric_Odie

Apr 17, 2005
Fremont, Ca.
www.cardomain.com
welding did cross my mind, but neither of my friends and myself don't know how to weld =P and i have this feeling if i took some where to get it welded it'll cost more than just using bondo or the fiberglass. one thing i worry about though is would the bondo fall through the holes?

kwnate

Lurker
Jul 10, 2005
None of your fucking business
Fill it em with metal. Don't fill holes like that with bondo. Weld in replacement metal, sand smooth, body filler over that, then sand smooth and repaint the whole panel. Or the whole car!! Do it right so you only have to do it once. I would pay someone to do it. I don't know how, those are just things i've heard...

Eric_Odie

Apr 17, 2005
Fremont, Ca.
www.cardomain.com
hmm.. i agree, maybe i should "do it right" cause i have seen bondo crack after awhile. but getting it done by someone will make it take awhile due to costs, maybe i'll just cut some black duct tape for now haha

Stanzaspeed

2.5 Twin Turbo R
Staff member
Mar 30, 2005
Calgary, AB
i removed my wing and i bought some little plastic plugs from canadian tire for a temporary filler untill the CF whaletail GB is done. i took them, sanded, primed, painted, and clearcoated them to match as best as i could and then stuck them in. it works great for what i need it to do and they can come out in 5 min when the new wing shows up (hint hint suze :biglaugh: )

supraswole89

Mar 30, 2005
jackson,TN
I've Been Doing Bodywork For Six Years And Have Done Almost Everything And In My Opinion I Would Weld Them Up And Grind Smooth And Then Fill With Fiberglassed Reinforced Bondo(kittyhair). Fiberglass Is Waterproof So It Doesn't Absorb Water Like Bondo Does,so Bondo Is A Very Bad Idea To Wipe Straight Over Holes Because It Will Leave Worm Holes On The Backside Of The Panel And Then Moisture Will Get Between The Car And The Bondo And Cause Rust Big Time And Then The Bondo Would Just Crack Off The Car. So What You Can Do Is Use Fiberglass Mat Or The Cloth And Resin , Then You Would Grinde The Paint Back Away From The Holes So The Fiberglass Will Stick. Make Sure You Take A Hammer And Sink The Hole In A Little So When Your Sanding You Want Sand The Fiberglass Too Thin Around The Hole And The Fiberglass Will Fall Down Through The Hole. After You Sand The Fg Then You Can Use Kittyhair Or A Little Bondo Too Level The Hole.but Whatever You Do Do Not Wipe Bondo Straight Over A Hole. Thats Just My .02!!!