Auto Transmission

starworts

Dec 8, 2010
california
Hey guys i got an 87 automatic supra. Seems that my reverse isn't working. In neutral, reverse and park, the car goes forward(while in park goes about two feet before it locks... Anyways i took it to my mechanic told me that the electronics are fine. He said possibly valve body but he can't be to sure. I do trust this guy hes a friend of the family and he doesn't charge me labor. Maybe a little help on what is going on. thanks in advance.

Also i was thinking about just swapping out the auto tranny for a manual. Im just wondering besides the transmission itself how much is the clutch pedal assembly and such gonna cost me. i would love some more info on this before i make any move

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
You can possibly linked up correctly with the range selector switch. If you move in park, you are not in park. The parking pawl prevents it. A car will have mild deflection, like a weight shift if you put it in park. He doesn't sound like he knows anything. Or you are not giving all the information. Which is common, don't take that personal.

starworts

Dec 8, 2010
california
my mechanic isn't a transmission guru he has a guy he uses for transmission stuff. And i know its still in 1st when in park and about the pawl. Im just wondering what it could be. I did replace a solenoid which went bad...

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
i did have this problem with my 88 auto. every gear was forwards (including park, though the park powl engaged, it did try to move, neutral and reverse ) i never did find out why, as i tossed it for scrap aluminum.

the cost of my 5 spd swap was about 1500, but i got alot of new parts (new clutch master/slave, lines, lightened flywheel, stage 3 clutch )

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
What can i say? Neutral & PUUUUUUUUUUUUUSH! Lol

Don't know much about auto but whenever one of my old man's cars 3rd gear & reverse started failing he'd just swap out the transmission with one from a junkyard.. & problem solved (domestic vehicles that is) finding a Automatic for your supra shouldn't be expensive if you live in California. We use to find engines for 200 -300 dollars :)

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
starworts;1685802 said:
well thats my problem is what you had my other problem is i don't have the money to do a manual swap

true, but if you use used parts you can do it for less. also about 700 of that price was for the flywheel and clutch. if you buy a new stock clutch it will be alot less.

starworts

Dec 8, 2010
california
i would love to do a manual swap i am in california and i could get a manual trans from a junk yard for about 200. My problem is is the auto to manual really difficult like clutch pedal fluid container and such. Im just kinda upset cuz this trans only has 78k miles on it

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
starworts;1685878 said:
i would love to do a manual swap i am in california and i could get a manual trans from a junk yard for about 200. My problem is is the auto to manual really difficult like clutch pedal fluid container and such. Im just kinda upset cuz this trans only has 78k miles on it

Dude, all you need is Brake Pedal, Clutch pedal, Clutch lines, M/T ECU, M/T Harness, Clutch lines, Clutch master & slave cylinders, the different brackets, drive line... :naughty: Ask any junkyard if they can cut you a deal since your going to buy a lot of items & see what their total would be

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
no its easy. the hole is alredy cut in the firewall for that.

only parts thats a little slow and painstaking is wireing the reverse lights and the neutral saftey switch. other than that im running a 5 spd on an auto ecu with no problems.

if you need help on the swap, feel free to pm me

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
bioskyline;1685884 said:
no its easy. the hole is alredy cut in the firewall for that.

only parts thats a little slow and painstaking is wireing the reverse lights and the neutral saftey switch. other than that im running a 5 spd on an auto ecu with no problems.

if you need help on the swap, feel free to pm me

Interesting, i never heard of a 5 speed swap running on auto ECU.

& who needs a neutral safety switch? :naughty:

Oh wait i do, i always leave it in 1st & if there wasn't a Neutral safety id crash into the garage. I almost did with my good ol 90 Celica GT when the switch was failing & i left it in 1st... i hopped in & started the car & totaly forgot about 1st & chyea... it was like 11pm too so it was pitch dark.

starworts

Dec 8, 2010
california
assuming i get a trans for 200 or so from a junk yard how much you think this will run me. i work part time and im a sophmor in college so spare change isn't something i have a lot of

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
starworts;1685897 said:
assuming i get a trans for 200 or so from a junk yard how much you think this will run me. i work part time and im a sophmor in college so spare change isn't something i have a lot of

youll definitely need the Brake & clutch pedals (safety switch might be included) so add that on, get a R154, get clutch master cylinder & clutch slave cylinder (ask if they can include that with the transimssion & the lines. who knows? they might give it to you without extra charge), get all the transmission brackets, get GTE clutch kit,Not sure if the drive line changes, ask Bioskylline. In fact PM him, he's done it so he'll be your best source of information.

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
D.J.T.;1685896 said:
Interesting, i never heard of a 5 speed swap running on auto ECU.

& who needs a neutral safety switch? :naughty:

yep. the tranny has its own computer, and i just unplugged it. i never noticed a difference, only thing it the O/D light will flash at you, but i removed the cover on the cluter and covered it with some flat black paint.

as for cost around 500 bucks if you install it all yourself. id recomend a new clutch and pressureplate vs the used one with the tranny, just casuse its already appart and easy to do, vs a used one that might only last a year or so, but if on a budget just use what you can get, and cost will go down. also remember to grab the clutch lines and the clip aswell, the bracket is already on the car.

as for the driveshaft. the AT one does fit the r154.(same spline) only diff is its about 1/4 shorter in a side by side comparasion. (steady bearing to tranny) rear half is identical. as its a non moving shaft you should be ok, i used the MT one just casue i paid for it, so mind as well.

starworts

Dec 8, 2010
california
i really appreciate the info! I just wish i could get my reverse workin until i do do my 5 spd swap. Im going to have to buy things piece by piece. So ill be pm'ing you randomly within this next few months

starworts

Dec 8, 2010
california
oh believe me i won't and probly won't be driving to much at all seeing as gass is 5 cents short of 4 bucks a gallon.... Part time working BLOWS

starworts

Dec 8, 2010
california
also is there a differential problem... or are the auto and manual differentials the same? i don't wanna have my car get like 3 miles to the gallon because the ratio is to high