Auto transmission differences.

Tysan

May 5, 2013
Lexington, NC
Ok Im looking to get get a 7mgte. Im starting school in Sep and I think Id be pushing it pretty close if I decide to start on my 5speed convert. I need a car to drive back and forth to school. So I decide to go auto and wait off on the 5speed. So my question, is there a difference between the 7mge auto trans and the 7mgte trans or can they both work because I already have a 7mge auto trans lay around.

supra13's

Banned
Oct 20, 2009
Boonville, Indiana
R154 and the W58 are manual transmissions. He's asking about the auto's that came in the MKIII's.
A 7mgte physically will bolt to your original NA trans, but I'm not sure if the wiring and ECU are compatible. If you do end up using an NA auto, you better baby it and never do any burn outs etc..
Honestly I do not know what all the differences are between the gte and NA auto trans, but if Toyota put a beefier manual behind the gte, I would think they'd done the same with the auto's.

Tysan

May 5, 2013
Lexington, NC
So R154 come as an automatic also. I thought they only came as manuals. The one I have came off a 7mge. I know this because the guy I bought the shell off of told me. Ill check to make sure.

Tysan

May 5, 2013
Lexington, NC
supra13's;1942276 said:
R154 and the W58 are manual transmissions. He's asking about the auto's that came in the MKIII's.
A 7mgte physically will bolt to your original NA trans, but I'm not sure if the wiring and ECU are compatible. If you do end up using an NA auto, you better baby it and never do any burn outs etc..
Honestly I do not know what all the differences are between the gte and NA auto trans, but if Toyota put a beefier manual behind the gte, I would think they'd done the same with the auto's.
Im not one of those guys that do all these burn outs or anything like that. Im one that like my cars clean and shiny, with the piece off mind of having that power under the hood in case its ever needed.

Tysan

May 5, 2013
Lexington, NC
supra13's;1942276 said:
Im not one of those guys that do all these burn outs or anything like that. Im one that like my cars clean and shiny, with the piece off mind of having that power under the hood in case its ever needed. (Sorry about the multiple replies, stupid slow pc. Lol)

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
Tysan;1942282 said:
Im not one of those guys that do all these burn outs or anything like that. Im one that like my cars clean and shiny, with the piece off mind of having that power under the hood in case its ever needed. (Sorry about the multiple replies, stupid slow pc. Lol)
I'm pretty sure the r154 is only manual never seen an auto
and if irc the auto trams will work with manual but the manual wont work with auto

Tysan

May 5, 2013
Lexington, NC
BryanDyer;1942284 said:
I'm pretty sure the r154 is only manual never seen an auto
and if irc the auto trams will work with manual but the manual wont work with auto
Im sorry but Im not following. Do you mean wiring harness?

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
Why are we talking about the r154 for? As for the original question, the only big difference is the GE auto trans (both turbo and no turbo are called the a340e) has one less clutch friction plate and disc on the no.1 clutch and another clutch pack, I forget the second one. There are also tiny differences in the valve body, such as the turbo has a few more steel check balls etc. The GE trans will hold up fine with mild upgrades.

Tysan

May 5, 2013
Lexington, NC
OfnaRcR4;1942292 said:
Why are we talking about the r154 for? As for the original question, the only big difference is the GE auto trans (both turbo and no turbo are called the a340e) has one less clutch friction plate and disc on the no.1 clutch and another clutch pack, I forget the second one. There are also tiny differences in the valve body, such as the turbo has a few more steel check balls etc. The GE trans will hold up fine with mild upgrades.
Ok that's what I like to hear. All Im doing right know for mild upgrades is air intake, intercooler since I don't have one and catback exhaust and bigger oil cooler just to be on the safe side and pretty much run stock. That will hopeful give me time until I can either get the turbo auto transmission or save for the R154 5 speed convert.