Auto trans issues, need some help :)

jonahs_supra

May 17, 2011
Lancaster, Ohio, United States
2nd gear stops around 70 i think
i would do it on my way home tonight but walbro is failing :)

you would be in 3rd or 4th to be doing 110 mph

did you mess with the TV cable?
or mess with accumulators? (not sure if they would have anything to do with issues)

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
We had to mess with the accumulators to put the shims in them that Devin gave me with the valve body. I'm starting to wonder if my car is only driving in 3rd and 4th(O/D) now. Seeing how I was able to do 110 and it would have kept going. But when I'm cruising in town the RPM's are pretty high for 3rd or 4th.

jonahs_supra

May 17, 2011
Lancaster, Ohio, United States
I would try the valve body from your old trans
Well make sure they're the same
See what happens then

Iirc reading somewhere that someone mixed up 2 of the accumlators and had similar issues

I'm going to look up the thread and post link

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
That was a good read, but I didn't see anyone with a problem similar to mine. :S And I can promise you we didn't get the springs switched around because the trans was upside down and out of the car when we did it. And we did one accumulator at a time. So no springs were mixed up.

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
I noticed in that thread they talked about locking the trans kick down cable in WOT position to keep a higher pressure. I have not done that, should I get that a try? Only reason I didn't do that is because Devin never mentioned it needed to be done.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
When I tried higher pressures the downshifts were especially harsh under low throttle and it became annoying. There's not really any point that I can see, since you only need the higher pressure when the throttle is open, so let the cable do its things and put the tranny under less strain for the rest of the time. But, since it is such a simple mod go ahead and do it and decide for yourself if you like it.

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
So how exactly do you do this? And to make sure I'm talking about the same thing, is it the cable that goes up to the throttle body from the trans?

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
The line pressure is already increased, having the line pressure cable pulled full under part throttle could snap the output shaft or break the 2nd gear Sprag. Leave it adjusted per tsrm..

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
I sent Devin a valve body from a different transmission and was planning on swapping it out with the one in my car...only a few hours of down time. I ended up having no overdrive :D Valve body was fine, it was just the wrong one.

I sent him the other one and some more money, swapped THAT one in and everything was fine.

They are finicky.

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
OfnaRcR4;1882879 said:
Only watched part of it but it seems it is taking off in 3rd

The car Def. takes off in 3rd gear. Up top it pulls like a boss. Only probelm is down low it is very slow and not very responsive. We figure'd out I have NO first gear. So the car is trying to leave in a higher gear. We figured this out because Low is suppose to be a straight cut gear. And if you leave it in Low and take it up to like 3k RPM's then let off the gas it should whine and engine brake as if you were in a manual and letting it engine brake while in gear. However, it does not do that In my Low gear. My low gear will go up to like 70 mph and when you let out the RPM's drop fast but the speed doesn't, so it doesn't engine brake.