Auto trans issues, need some help :)

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
I need some help figuring out what's going on with my auto trans. My last trans was slipping pretty bad so I got another auto trans from a friend. This trans worked perfectly fine before I got it. I then sent the valve body to Devin to have modified. I installed the valve body in the trans, then installed the trans into the car. I had the help of some other members of this site with all the work. After it was all done we ran into these issues.

Park - works

Neutral - works

Reverse - Didn't work at first. Had to put it into reverse a few times before it actually caught, but once it did it shifted hard into park. Almost like it had to build up pressure or something.

Drive - Leaving from a stop it's not as responsive as it was with the old trans. Almost feels like its loading up a big stall, but still has the stock stall. Also, when driving it only shifts once into the next gear and that's it, no more gears. So its acting like its a 2 speed. But when it does shift it shifts very solid. It doesn't even try to shift into 3rd or over drive. Also, if I turn over drive off the RPM's barely move up. Only like 100-200 rpm's if that. Normally they would go up more than that.

Manually shifting from L to 2nd - If I take off in L and manually shift to 2nd nothing changes. RPM's stay the same and no shift was made.

Any idea's on the issue would be greatly appreciated. We may have made a mistake during the install, but we aren't sure as to what it would be that would cause this issue. Thanks!

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
Yes, he isn't sure what would cause these issue's either. I'm getting ready to go out and check for any trans codes. Then I will unplug the ECT and then manually shift the trans to see if its an electrical problem or not.

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
Ok, just checked the codes and there are none. I then unplugged the ECT for the trans and drove the car by manually shifting from L to 2nd then to drive. Before L and 2nd were the same and wouldn't shift when I went in to 2nd. This time with the ECT unplugged It actually shifted when I went from L to 2nd. BUT it did not shift when I went from 2nd to Drive, it just stayed the same. So still no 3rd gear or over drive.. any thoughts?

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
I should also note, when I'm sitting still. If I move the shifter to Drive and the car starts to barely roll, if I then drop it to Low the car stops rolling immediately as if I put the brakes on. The car will move in L but I have to give it more gas to get moving, kinda like if someone were slightly holding the brakes.

Also need to add that Reverse is no longer acting up. It goes into reverse every time now and is extremely responsive when I give it gas to back up.

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
Well I'm def. not getting 3rd gear because the RPM's are to high for 3rd. Its gotta be 1st and 2nd. Not sure if this makes any difference, but the trans I put in is from a pre89. My car is a 90.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Rpm will be high as it can't lockup without the ECT.

AT_020.gif

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
Ok, well I'm only getting 2 gears with or without the ECT. So would this be a valve body issue? Maybe a solenoid or something is messed up like a speed sensor? Someone mentioned the Linkage maybe set wrong. But if it was set wrong then why are Park, Neutral, and Reverse correct?

toytech

Toyota certifed
Feb 10, 2009
Frankton,Indiana
Get a test valve body from last trans, swap out, test drive. And is the valve body in your trans right now the original and modded or from another and modded ad swaped?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
toytech;1882244 said:
Get a test valve body from last trans, swap out, test drive. And is the valve body in your trans right now the original and modded or from another and modded ad swaped?

x2, it's usually the last thing you changed if it was working before ;)

toytech

Toyota certifed
Feb 10, 2009
Frankton,Indiana
Valve bodies can be different from year to year and don't like anything that's not clean fluid like dust, lint, seal packing. Call Addison if stumped he has my number. Oh and a340 was also used in jeeps just like r154/ax15

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
I just drove to walmart and back. On the way home I hit a country road and nailed the gas just to see what would happen. The car very quickly got to 110 and I let out. I think it might have shifted into the next gear at some point in really high RPM's while I was on it, but I couldn't really feel it shift if it did. So what ever gear its in I'm able to do over 110 mph. :D Up top it feels great, down low and taking off it feels slower than it use to.