Auto Trans Control...?

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Mar 3, 2009
Indiana
Hey alls...

Ive searched but cant quite find the answer...

What controls the atx in the supra? Is it the ect box or the ecu? Reason I ask is because I have an 87' auto non turbo car... Will be dropping in a build 7mgte come spring but am keeping the car automatic... The harness and ecu I have come from an 89' turbo car which was a manual....

so... will the manual ecu/wiring harness work for the automatic?

If not... can a stand alone control unit like the Suprastick work?

Thanks
-Chris

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
The ECT controls the trans and yes a SSv4 or a PCS controller will work.

You can swap over all the engine side of things and retain your original harness making the job much simpler.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Mar 3, 2009
Indiana
Original harness for the engine/ecu or for the ect?

Also... if the ect box controls the trans... then why does the ecu matter? Why wont the manual trans ecu and harness work and still have the atx function properly? (Ive been told it wont work but nonone says why...)

Do explain please...

Thanks
-AcId-

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Leave the harness in the car, when you swap engines strip off the manual harness and install your auto harness off the old engine, done.

why do you guys insist on making life so hard?

There are a BUNCH of extra wires to run the auto trans not in the manual harness, if you want to strip them all out of your auto harness and reconnect them into the manual harness by all means go for it..

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Mar 3, 2009
Indiana
.... my only question then is... how am I going to hook the NA auto harness up the the turbo ecu and turbo sensors,coils,etc..?

I'm swapping in a turbo motor with a turbo harness and ecu... Isnt the NA harness completely different? I know my ecu plug is different....

Now I'm really confused....? Am I just not understanding what ur saying or are you misunderstanding what I'm doing?

I want the easiest way possible for me to retain my automatic.. which my car is currently NA... while swapping in a turbo engine... and the only harness/ecu I have is from a manual turbo car...

With that being said... I dont know if its even possible to chop up the NA auto harness to work with the turbo ecu, etc... so what do you mean by use the stock harness? If its possible... How can I do it?
-AcId-

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Sorry Chris reading>me this time....

Missed that you're currently NA,

I'd hunt downb an Auto GTE harness and use that it'll be simpler in the long run.

Early cars used a universal harness that would do both manual and auto later ones went seperate.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Mar 3, 2009
Indiana
lol.... damn thats not what I wanted to hear.... guess I'll keep my eyes open... not like I wont be able to sell this harness for what Ive got in it.

If I cant... its pretty well disect both harnesses and combine them?

The car will be down for several weeks... so it wouldnt be a time issue...

We'll see what I can come up with...

Will the turbo atx harness control the NA trans? I didnt know if the gte trans had any electronic differences from the ge...

Thanks
-AcId-

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Sorry to be a bit off topic, but an ATX is a brand name for Ford front wheel drive transmissions. And great big piles of pooh at that.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
AcIdBuRn02ZTS;1503219 said:
lol.... damn thats not what I wanted to hear.... guess I'll keep my eyes open... not like I wont be able to sell this harness for what Ive got in it.

If I cant... its pretty well disect both harnesses and combine them?

The car will be down for several weeks... so it wouldnt be a time issue...

We'll see what I can come up with...

Will the turbo atx harness control the NA trans? I didnt know if the gte trans had any electronic differences from the ge...

Thanks
-AcId-

Damn big PITA job to do :(

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Mar 3, 2009
Indiana
Kinda what I figured.... Ive started the search for a auto harness... I hope I can find one... Although it wouldnt be the first time I've had to frankenstein a wiring harness... It just friggen takes too long to do it!

Thanks for the info

-AcId-

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Mar 3, 2009
Indiana
Can you use the SSv4 without the ect portion of the harness or would I just cut the plugs off the tranny portion of the harness and wire them up to the ssv4 instead of the ect?

-AcId-

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Mar 3, 2009
Indiana
Pretty slim at the moment... motor going in the car is a stock rebuild w/ mhg and arp head studs/rod bolts...

I'll have to figure something out... perhaps I'll get lucky and find one...

Thanks again
-Chris