Auto Tranny wont shift into 1st or 2nd gear while in "D"

Highnitro

Boostin' 4 life
Jun 18, 2007
Vancouver, WA
i bought an 87 non turbo auto car thats had this shifting problems ever since i got it. when you put it in "D" it will be in 3rd gear and wont downshift to 1st or 2nd on its own. if i drop it down to "L" it will go into first gear. in position "2" it will be in third gear. the overdrive on/off switch works and controls o/d. any ideas on where to start? i am getting tranny codes because the o/d off light is flashing, but when i jumper T and E1 it wont tell me what code.

Highnitro

Boostin' 4 life
Jun 18, 2007
Vancouver, WA
IJ.;1531020 said:
Might get a better result if you jumper the correct pins....

i did get a better result, thank you. its show code 62 which is "Defective No1 solenoid of short circuit-severed wire harness or short circuit" so im going to test to see if i can even hear it click and if i can i guess im pulling off the tranny pan. thanks Ian for the guidance.

Highnitro

Boostin' 4 life
Jun 18, 2007
Vancouver, WA
so i can hear the #2 solenoid click but not the #1, there must be a fault in the wiring to it somewhere. i'm going to drain the transmission to check wiring to the solenoid. hopefully its an obvious fix.

Highnitro

Boostin' 4 life
Jun 18, 2007
Vancouver, WA
external wiring is good, i unplugged the connector at the transmission and checked the wiring from there to the ect connecter. do solenoids wear out? is it possible mine is bad? or is it just a wiring problem?

Highnitro

Boostin' 4 life
Jun 18, 2007
Vancouver, WA
alright, got the number 1 solenoid out of the tranny, sure enough, it doesnt work. so im gunna try to get another one asap. thanks for all the help Ian.

Highnitro

Boostin' 4 life
Jun 18, 2007
Vancouver, WA
i found out the some jeep cherokee's use the same transmission, but they call it an AW4. theres 4 of them in the local parts yard so hopefully ill have time to get the solenoid later today or tomorrow.

Highnitro

Boostin' 4 life
Jun 18, 2007
Vancouver, WA
ok, so i got a couple used solenoids today, put one in and the car shifts through all the gears fine, but it shifting at like 2k no matter how much gas i give it, it does this in power mode and normal. any ideas on where to start?

May 8, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
I have the same problem...kinda. Sometimes it has 2nd, and sometimes it doesn't. I always shift mine manually anyways, kinda how I figured it out. I get codes 61 and 62. How hard was it to get that solenoid out?