auto tranny slow engaging

martyn&tara

supra addicts
Jun 6, 2005
Somerset. England
Hi from the UK,
We have recently bought a 3ltr turbo auto import model (Jap/US spec) to add to our collection. On purchase the head gasket had blown so we nursed it home and spent the next couple of weeks spare time working on it. The car is now up and running so it is only now we have discovered another problem which i hope some of you can shed some light on.
Right from start wether warm or cold the tranny seems to slip instead of a smooth change. On kick down the revs climb up to 5000 before changing up(not in power mode) or i bottle out before engine damage occurs. When i ease off it will change up. There is no probs other wise and over drive is ok.I am not that familiar with auto boxes so would appreciate some input from you guys.
BTW The check lamp comes on but not each time. I will read the fault codes but i always prefer to hear from members who have had similar problems and will know the best way to fix by experience.
This one is Tara's and she is every bit as demanding a driver as most males so i need to get this right for her so she can get the max fun out of the car.

supraman7mgte

Shut up,bitch!!
Apr 1, 2005
Sunny California
I've been having problems with my auto as well. I would suggest changing the transmission fluid and filter,the pan will hold a little under 2 quarts,but there will still be more in the tourque conveter that might need to come out.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
yea check out hte faq theres a good procedure for flushing the system with new fluid, i did it, works good.

and when your done get a magnet and sift arround for metal shavings.

Marcenator

Marc T.
Apr 29, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
I had similar problems with mine but it was much worse. Smell the fluid. If it smells really bad, kinda burnt, chances are it's toast. I changed the fluid disassembled and cleaned out the valve body and still the same thing. Had to swap the tranny. Got lucky and found one in the scrap yard for 85 bucks. Works very nice now!!

supraman7mgte

Shut up,bitch!!
Apr 1, 2005
Sunny California
Yes you need to replace the filter.It should come as a complete kit including the new filter and a new gasket.You'll need some tranny fluid that has Dextron II or higher,and buy at least 3 quarts because the pan itself hold 1.7.More than likely the pan is held on by RTV silicone,and is going to be fun to get off.If you don't have any air tools,get a good gasket remover/scraper.All of this is in the tranny pan,under the car.There is about 16 bolts holding it on,so you need plenty of time to do it right.If you have any more questins,PM me and i'll help. I did the change this weekend,so I know what to expect!!