Auto tranny racing?

92Turbo

hondas suck
Apr 19, 2005
NJ
This is a stupid question, but this is the first automatic car I have ever owned. For racing purposes what is the best set up? I mean should I leave the O/D off or on, and when should I manually shift the auto tranny? Also how do you auto guys run at the track?

Thanks,
Steve

kulangflow

Celica All-trac Turbo
Mar 30, 2005
UT
Leave your O/D off, even though you prob won't get to that gear anyway unless you've got some serious power.

With my auto tranny, I have to shift from 1-2 about 600 rpm before redline, then 2-3 about 300 before redline. There is a bit of a lag between moving the shift lever and the tranny actually shifting. You'll have to experiment with your own car to figure out when it's best to shift.

Also, remember to brake-boost as soon as both cars are fully staged, but not much sooner or else you'll start spinning.

Good luck!

Brian

Furball

Yes, I play Halo
Apr 2, 2005
Merced, CA
I move the shift lever out of 1st at around 25mph, and out of second around 70. The shift lag is an interesting thing. Takes a little more skill than you would think. The other option is use the ECT.

suprra_girl

7M POWAH! ;)
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
www.supra.co.nz
my trannie is good to me hehe
i just leave her in drive and brake boost then foot to floor

but i've found you have to teach the trannie how to shift... when i first got mine it would only shift at like 4000rpm but after a couple of weeks she started shifting at 6000 which was just right :)

i previously have always had o/d on but never got into that gear but i am just getting into that gear on the end line.. so yea leave it off

have fun with it ;)

Poatree

May 14, 2005
Edmonton
www.shiftin.com
Have you guys noticed any differences between shifting it from L->2->D compared to just leaving it in drive, brake boosting, and flooring it with ECT on PWR?

My mk3 shifts at exactly 6k, it seems it would be faster to leave it in D and reef on the pedal instead of sportshifting the auto tranny?

Suprra_girl: The tranny "learning" your driving is probably whats going on. The later 240sx S14 autos had the same feature, pretty cool actually.

88tsupra

not to jack this thread but what if your doing a top end run? do you leave O/D on?

92Turbo

hondas suck
Apr 19, 2005
NJ
I noticed that mine shifts at like 4000 with the ETC on...that bothered me because it wont pull to redline.

oneandgone

40R 6 SPD SC3
Ahh, this thread is funny and serious all at the same time. Racing with an auto trans is considered almost ghey when talking to some, then nearly witchery when talking to others. It all comes down to the driver/car/and trans used.

I know a few guys who put 4-spds in everything, they tub it, 4-spd it, then big block it...after that they're ready to go racing. Then I know some other guys who want to immediately buy an automatic trans that they can put into drive and race. They both yeild immediate good results. One is old-school, the other is new-school.

I'm personally a fan of the automatic, I think it's more reliable, and most importantly , more consistant. Then again, I bought an auto that I have to shift myself so I must have some faith in even the worste of drivers! lol! I guess if I can't shift when appropriate I'll have to bitch out and get the air shifter. After that I can call myself a complete pussy! lol!

That reminds me...Someone find out the real rev limit of the late crankshaft already! Ian, are you listening?! It looks like you may be the guy! I was hoping that Brian *chevy* was going to, but it looks like he's going to go easy for a while! Ian, I know I shouldn't have to ask, but ease into that failure rate already! lol!

I still haven't decided which one is best in the long run, but I know what I'm doing and I know what I perfer. I will say that I have a feeling that a combination of the two won't be the best, but it will be close or better. I don't see us losing by close margins! New technology will always prevail!!...................................................................................................................................right!? lol!

Edit...My stock RT/LM was fine untill I got comfortable with the power. After that all the fun was over. If you can handle it...lay off the gas for a while! let the stock stangs and Camaros deal with you a bitddowm the road. After that let them have it off the line! You'll probabaly do than better than you expected...as long as you learn how to launch first.

Last edited:

ma71supraturbo

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Redding, CA
www.geocities.com
88tsupra said:
not to jack this thread but what if your doing a top end run? do you leave O/D on?

You certainly won't go very fast with OD off (~110-120 if I recall correctly).

My automatic would shift into 3rd even when it was in 2. After pouring through the TSRM to figure out why, I found that it was supposed to do so. So there isn't much point in moving the lever. The 1-2 shift should be down manually though, moving the lever at 5500 rpm worked best for me (transmission would shift ~6100)

As for launching -- the stock auto was pretty easy. The moment both staging lights come on (for both lanes), floor the brake and gas. The moment the last yellow light is about to come on, the rear tires will slowly start spinning. The moment the last yellow light comes on, let go of the brake. You have to time it so you actually let off the brake AT the same time the last yellow lights -- not reacting to it. This would get me consistant .505-.525 reaction times (with .499 being red light). 60' time were 2.1-2.0 on street tires

Last edited:

92Turbo

hondas suck
Apr 19, 2005
NJ
Another question...is it ok to leave the ETC switch on all the time for normal driving or is that bad?

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Not to take this tread but where there more autos made than there were manuals?
see to me that a sports car would come manual rather than auto.
and before ne1 flames i know autos are just as good as manuals.

kulangflow

Celica All-trac Turbo
Mar 30, 2005
UT
92Turbo said:
Another question...is it ok to leave the ETC switch on all the time for normal driving or is that bad?

Nope. It's pretty much just bad for your gas mileage, but that still depends on how heavy your foot is. :icon_twis

sirkus

May 12, 2005
Cartersville, Ga
itsholdingon.tk
I leave the etc on normal most of the time. Unless I just feel like hearing the engine more. I'm kind of afriad of my transmission. This is my first automatic car (had a fc and a gsi before) and I just keep thinking 'the more mods I do, the easier this transmission will start slipping'. Which I know you run into problems like this with a 5spd too (mainly with the clutch). I know, if this transmission starts slipping, or fails. It's 5spd time!

*edit* I got side tracked... I was also gonna say that, I've heard several people tell me that turbo cars are typically better as an automatic so that they can hold boost between gears.

Last edited:

suprra_girl

7M POWAH! ;)
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
www.supra.co.nz
D34DC311 said:
Not to take this tread but where there more autos made than there were manuals?
see to me that a sports car would come manual rather than auto.
and before ne1 flames i know autos are just as good as manuals.

New Zealand

we suck for finding R154's :( they sell here for $1500 or more

and i already know how cheep u guys sell them there so don't try to sell em for a profit to me LOL :p

88tsupra

another question, can you shift manually with o/d on? are there any plus's?