Auto to 5-speed.

AllStreet

Banned
Feb 3, 2008
Michigan
Hi, everyone. I have a 1991 Toyota Supra Turbo with a Automatic transmission, I want to convert to a Five, I would just like everyone’s input on this.

What things will I need to change will things hook right up? Sensors have to be replaced? What about new Drive shaft, 5-speed’s are the same? Bell housing will hook up correctly?

I have to plug transmission cooler to radiator I know this, ECU change or disconnect those terminals?

I hope it won't be to bad, I just did a head gasket on my supra about 4 days ago.

Engine: Bottom End Turbo:
Rebuilt stock 7M-GTE motor Ct-26 62mm with Garret Cartridge and Ball Bearing

With a Bull’s-Eye Power Adjustable Waste gate

Ported Polished Head Fuel:

Shoot Peened Factory Rods 255 Walbro fp

Crank Line Honed Stock 440cc injectors
Titan Motor Sports MHG 1.4mm Exterior:

Engine: Head Stock
ARP Head Wheels:

Stock Cams Flik Racing Flat black 17” Rims
Intake: Tires:

Cooleze Turbo Intake Toyo Proxies
Apex-I Air Filter & Adapter Plate Other:

Suspension: MSD wires
Eibach Lowering Springs, with Tems Struts Gates Timing

Interior: Targa Top
Autometer Boost gauge Solid Billet Aluminum Motor Mounts

HKS FCD
HKS AFR

Exhaust:
Cooleze Big Mouth 3” Down pipe

Titan Motor Sports 3” SS Test Pipe
Blitz Nur-Spec 3” Catback without Silencer

Stock Exhaust Manifold Ported and Polished

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
  • Transmission & bell housing
  • Clutch master cylinder
  • Clutch slave cylinder
  • Hydraulic hose (Driftmotion has a nice one that goes all the way from the master to the slave)
  • Driveshaft
  • Clutch pedal
  • Brake pedal (Narrow)
  • Clutch pedal mount
  • Clutch switch to replace the neutral safety switch (To allow starting only if the clutch pedal is down.)
  • Shifter assembly
  • center console shift boot
That's what I can think of off the top of my head.

AllStreet

Banned
Feb 3, 2008
Michigan
Dan_Gyoba;917425 said:
  • Transmission & bell housing
  • Clutch master cylinder
  • Clutch slave cylinder
  • Hydraulic hose (Driftmotion has a nice one that goes all the way from the master to the slave)
  • Driveshaft
  • Clutch pedal
  • Brake pedal (Narrow)
  • Clutch pedal mount
  • Clutch switch to replace the neutral safety switch (To allow starting only if the clutch pedal is down.)
  • Shifter assembly
  • center console shift boot
That's what I can think of off the top of my head.

I am wondering if a 1jz-gte would be a good swap now, the 7m has been pissing me off lately and the 1jz seems to be a better bet, I am afraid of finding parts for it, I need a wiring harness, new ecu engine tranny, driveshafts, and more thing I will forget about intercooler piping, intercooler, hydro fan...

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
AllStreet;917454 said:
I am wondering if a 1jz-gte would be a good swap now, the 7m has been pissing me off lately and the 1jz seems to be a better bet, I am afraid of finding parts for it, I need a wiring harness, new ecu engine tranny, driveshafts, and more thing I will forget about intercooler piping, intercooler, hydro fan...

i suggest reading this http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63988

when i decided to do my 2jz swap my 7m was fine. i suggest if you cant get your 7m to run fine what would a 1jz make different? other than of course a BHG.

if you want to know what you need for a 5 speed / jz swap check my thread i listed everything i bought with just a 2jzgte aristo engine w/ auto full harness ignitor and map sensor. otherwise i have read lots and lots of threads just like yours hehe

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
AllStreet;917454 said:
Well, a 1JZ is definitely an option.

One thing that I didn't mention, but is worth considering. I've heard people report that the 7M auto ECU doesn't react as well when shifting a manual. Probably because the 5 speed ECU 'knows' that when the throttle snaps back to idle from WOT, it's likely to go back to WOT again after a shift. This doesn't happen with an auto, so it doesn't seem to be programmed the same way.

For a JZ swap, parts seems to be relatively easy to find now. There are a number of on-line sources, and it probably won't be long before some JZA70s are being parted out. I've seen a few of 'em go locally for really cheap, as they're in rough shape after being driven on this side of the Pacific for a few years.