ATI Dampeners are on sale... Not anymore... Thread revived...

turbotony

Mar 31, 2005
vegas
I just ordered mine from Rick, there still on sale until Jan. 19th according to him. thanks Grim for the notice of the sale. cant wait to get mine.

turbotony

Mar 31, 2005
vegas
alright, bringing up an old thread. I am trying to install my ATI dampener and it looks like Grimjacks pdf is for some kind of bolt change. do I need to change the stock one, or get a new one, or one from ATI or what? thanks

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
The diameter of the bolt flange needs to be turned down on a lathe to fit the dampner.

turbotony

Mar 31, 2005
vegas
thanks jdub, yeah I finally got adobe downloaded on my mechanics computer and looked at the diagram, Im getting it taken down on a lathe. Duane thank the heavens above we dont all need to have all our parts custom made like yours so they cost two or three times as much :biglaugh: although I sure wish I got the end reslult of your engine bay :hsugh:

Supra7MG

Supramania Contributor
Oct 13, 2005
Duncansville, PA.
I've been considering purchasing one of these. What kind of gains could I expect in the 400 whp range if any? I would think that benefits would be similar to installing a LW flywheel to some extent, but this thing isn't cheap. I can see the investment if I arrive at the decision to stay 7M, but I'm not sure yet which direction I will go. I'm exploring at this point. Any experienced info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
HP benefit = min

Protect motor from harmonic vibration vs worn out stock dampner = priceless

Supra7MG

Supramania Contributor
Oct 13, 2005
Duncansville, PA.
jdub said:
HP benefit = min

Protect motor from harmonic vibration vs worn out stock dampner = priceless

Well, I expected to hear that. My stock dampener just turned 39,000 miles and it was off 250 miles ago as I replaced valve seals, crank seal, oil pump drive seal, cam seals, timing belt and tensioner along with all hoses and pertinent gaskets. Also the water pump. The car sits a lot and I developed a small leak which turned out to be the crank seal. As long as I was in there I hit everything. The factory dampener, balancer was in perfect condition. I'm exploring my options as I'm targeting around 500 whp in the future. I don't mind the cost of the ATI as long as I use it for awhile. I'm considering a 2jz, but I'm really leaning in favor of the 7M for my needs. Hell, I'm really enjoying my car right now. Very responsive and I'm mostly concerned with street performance. I'll probably stay with my current motor as that makes the most economical sense for my goals.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Call the dealer an price a new stock dampner...what you find out is going to make the ATI look like a very good deal ;)

Supra7MG

Supramania Contributor
Oct 13, 2005
Duncansville, PA.
jdub said:
Call the dealer an price a new stock dampner...what you find out is going to make the ATI look like a very good deal ;)

I don't need a replacement dampener at this point as mine is is extremely good condition right now. I could justify the purchase right now if the benefits were substantial. Hence, the reason that I posted. I realize that purchasing the ATI versus a stock replacement is a much better buy.

Red7m

Oct 16, 2005
Hollidaysburg PA
Supra7MG said:
Well, I expected to hear that. My stock dampener just turned 39,000 miles and it was off 250 miles ago as I replaced valve seals, crank seal, oil pump drive seal, cam seals, timing belt and tensioner along with all hoses and pertinent gaskets. Also the water pump. The car sits a lot and I developed a small leak which turned out to be the crank seal. As long as I was in there I hit everything. The factory dampener, balancer was in perfect condition. I'm exploring my options as I'm targeting around 500 whp in the future. I don't mind the cost of the ATI as long as I use it for awhile. I'm considering a 2jz, but I'm really leaning in favor of the 7M for my needs. Hell, I'm really enjoying my car right now. Very responsive and I'm mostly concerned with street performance. I'll probably stay with my current motor as that makes the most economical sense for my goals.

Steve, stick with the 7m.

VanSupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Van,B.C.
GrimJack said:
How old is the one you have on there? The rubber doesn't last forever, and the harder it gets, the less dampening effect it will have.

That's why you have two kids Dave..

:icon_surp

Supra7MG

Supramania Contributor
Oct 13, 2005
Duncansville, PA.
GrimJack said:
How old is the one you have on there? The rubber doesn't last forever, and the harder it gets, the less dampening effect it will have.

I'm 53 yrs. old. I've been wrenching on cars for 32 yrs. I also have 2 sons.
My youngest drives the black MKIV in the pictures at the link that will follow.
I stumbled onto this post and it seemed reasonable to me at the time to ask if anyone saw a performance gain of any type after installing one of these. I was mistaken. I will find the answers to my questions on my own as I have since starting to mod my 88 in 1991 when no one really knew anything about these cars. And I think that I qualify as "Old School". The link contains pictures of my car.
Thanks,
Steve

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48463