ATF & PS Fluid Question

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
I know the TSRM recommends Dexron II for both the Power Steering and the A340E. However, ATF is INSANELY expensive here ($12 a quart), and obviously, i'm wondering if Dexron III or IV (which are significantly cheaper) are able to be used in both systems.

I would like to believe that Dexron III is 'backwards compatible' with Dexron II in terms of application, but again, horror stories like this:

http://www.forum.mkiiisupra.net/showthread.php?t=29760

and

http://www.forum.mkiiisupra.net/showthread.php?t=14505

keep me from biting the bullet.

So - can i get a definitive answer on this?

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Well, i don't MIND using Dex II or Toyota T-IV, it's just insanely priced here (20 litres is about $120 AUD). However, i can get a 20 litre drum of Generic Dex II for £45 ($90 or so AUD), so i might just get that.

More than anything this was for clarification as to whether i could use other things. I wonder if jDub can clear up the 'why not' bit :)

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
That’s shitty! All of the dex III + say backwards compatible and replacements for dex II over here! in for jdubs tech talk...

Quick search does not show a lot except opinions..

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Kai;1524298 said:
Well, i don't MIND using Dex II or Toyota T-IV, it's just insanely priced here (20 litres is about $120 AUD). However, i can get a 20 litre drum of Generic Dex II for £45 ($90 or so AUD), so i might just get that.

More than anything this was for clarification as to whether i could use other things. I wonder if jDub can clear up the 'why not' bit :)

The A340E was designed for Dex II - unless you're puting out HP in the 350+ range, it will do just fine. The big advantage of the later version Dex ATF is in longevity...even more so for the synthetics (like Toyota T-IV).

There's two things you can do to increase auto tranny life by defeating it's biggest two enemies - heat and crud:
1) Get a real cooler - mine is a Trucool with a 7" fan.
2) Install a filter. I'm using a Trasko bypass on a standard oil filter head. A conventional oil filter will work too.

grimreaper;1525102 said:
That’s shitty! All of the dex III + say backwards compatible and replacements for dex II over here! in for jdubs tech talk...

Quick search does not show a lot except opinions..

It is backwards compatible, but I have had some issues with the synthetics in my A340E - a fully built IPT tranny with a 3000 RPM stall converter. I went with Amsoil at first, but experienced slippage. Mobil 1 did the same thing, just not as bad. Finally settled on Castrol Import ATF - it's s semi-synthetic - the slippage completely disappeared.

Poodles;1525128 said:
IIRC jdub recommends the mobil 1 synthetic ATF in this case.

Mobil 1 is an excellent ATF. Didn't work well for me, but I use it in my power steering (it's got a cooler & filter too).

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Kai - Maybe you misunderstood...Dex III will work just fine. The Castrol Import I mentioned above that I use is a Dex III. If it's significantly cheaper, that's what I would use if I were you.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Maybe because the shops are gouging people? It's interesting that Dex II is even available in the UK - very rare bird here in the USA.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Toyota doesn't even sell Dex II in Canada, only Dex III.

I'm not sure of anywhere to buy Dex II really... which is probably why it's so expensive over there Kai, it's not common anymore.

I'd use Dex III (well... I do use Dex III).

I've never seen or heard of any issues like were mentioned in those links using Dex III in an A340E.

Again, Dex III is what Toyota here in North America recommends/sells. Now that Dex VI is out, it is all that GM will license, and as such more recently Toyota has been branding theirs as Toyota ATF Type D/M.

Jeff

ae86ma70

Jul 24, 2008
Atlanta
So, what about the PS? Spec is DEX II, will DEX III be okay?

I seem to remember reading it somewhere, still looking for that thread.