assistance please - pulling 92 7mgte- engine mount, And Driveshaft?

steve_mk3

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
middletown, NJ
Any guidance here would be greatly appreciated.

I am trying to get the 7mgte out, and I am at the poiint of removing the engine mounts! So close

What is the best way to unbolt the engine mounts? It looks like from underside from the wheel well, does that sound right? They are the 89+ round ones

I am following the 49 steps to remove your 7m - just not sure how to approach these mounts

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

peste noire

Jan 11, 2012
los angeles,CA
yes. you should take off the wheel( to manuver better) and start looking around by the lower control arm(i think thats whats its called)you would see a whole that goes straight to the bolt for the mount thats the easiest way i would say.

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
^what peste said and make sure to watch the mounts when you pull the motor, they tend to stick and if they don't come all the way out you'll rip them in half costing more money, just a warning good luck!

steve_mk3

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
middletown, NJ
Thank you, found the entry points in the lower control arms with the wheels off-

Next question - Can I leave the driveshaft bolted in? What I mean is attached to the center support bearing and the Diff? of do I need to take the center bearing down to pull the engine? Last time I removed the entire driveshaft, and it was a pain in the butt!

Thanks
Steve

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
You don't have to remove the drive shaft but two things, when you start pulling the motor you'll need somebody under the car to help the driveshaft while it slides out, then grab a jackstand put it right underneath the driveshaft and set the loose half of the driveshaft on the jackstand. But I'm warning so you can't say nobody did, you'll most likely have to pull the center support bearing out, you won't be able to get the driveshaft yoke in the tranny because of the angle unless you have someone under there when your putting the motor in feeding the driveshaft yoke into the tailshaft.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
You can pull the engine out without removing the driveshaft, but putting it back you'll need to at least unbolt the center support bearing to get it back in. Personally, I just remove it entirely so the slip yoke doesn't get damaged.

Warlock1

Mar 13, 2012
Surprise, AZ
I agree with Poodles. On some jobs it just makes it easier to unbolt things and get them out of the way. It will make the install much easier.