Ashtray mod?............Write up added!

aaron_arthur

Jul 30, 2008
London
So the other day i was thinking, I am a non-smoker so the ashtray was useless to me. I see people taking them out and putting turbo timers and stuff there, but i am looking for a stock look to my car. I use an ipod in my car as i dont like carrying many many cds around in my car so i thought of an idea . . . .

so I created this, i have not seen it done before and i thought it was interesting!!!

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

I made a docking station for my ipod in my ashtray, when the ipod is not in the dock i can push the ashtray back into the dash and not even know its there !

This keeps the stock look that i wanted! and adds a little touch to make things easyer in the supra.

It is not fully complete yet as there are a few touch up things to do and add ons but it is my start.

What do all of you think about this idea?

Walk threw for people who are interested!

A few things i used- Some nuts and bolts, a pen that i cut for spacers, washers, pleksiglass for the plate, and a ipod holder that came with my ipod.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

i started out with taking the ashtray apart. then figured i had to make some sort of plate to hold the ipod up.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

for the plate i used a dremel tool and cut everything out then lined up the four holes and cut holes in the bottom of the ashtray to match up with the pleksiglass

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Each slot i cut out is for the top metal tray part. two side ones are for the arms the rest further in the tray and the top one is to clear the spring components at the back of the tray.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

I had to cut down the four tabs in the tray which also gave me something to lay the pleksiglass on in the front.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

putthing the stuff together and using the pen pieces to use as a spacer for the back two holes to hold the pleksiglass level.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

I had to drill holes in the top metal plate of the ashtray to clear the bolt heads.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Slot a hole in the back for the ipod cable to come threw to hook into the ipod.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Sorry for the bad pictures as the only camera i own is on my cell phone. Any questions let me know. The pictures i think pretty much explain everything.

This isnt fully done as i plan on sanding the pleksiglass and putting a few leds under it to make the whole thing glow!! my car is in storage as well so i cant fully install it to show everyone as its a ways away and wont see her till spring :( but maybe i will update the post when it comes out.

Last edited:

sushi

Sep 21, 2008
Pottstown, PA
Awesome idea. I would love to see a writeup also. My only concern would be support to ensure stopping and starting wouldn't cause the iPod to snap the dock connector off inside it.

tcsupra

Dec 4, 2008
MN
I like it. It's better than what i did. i just ran the cord into the ashtray and leave the ipod in there.

KevinM

Knowledge driven
Mar 30, 2005
Seattle, WA
www.cardomain.com
A few of us have taken the face off and used it to cover the tt/boost, etc behind. You just need rare earth magnets to hold it in place to cover.

When my garage was broken in to a few years ago the theives weren't able to pull my SAFC out of the dash and didn't know that the TT/Boost controller/VF meter were hidden behind there so those parts were left alone.

Supra469

Apr 20, 2007
Maryland
KevinM;1429238 said:
A few of us have taken the face off and used it to cover the tt/boost, etc behind. You just need rare earth magnets to hold it in place to cover.

When my garage was broken in to a few years ago the theives weren't able to pull my SAFC out of the dash and didn't know that the TT/Boost controller/VF meter were hidden behind there so those parts were left alone.

That's interesting too. Got pics of such a setup also?

Mk3Tmoney

Apr 7, 2009
Alberta
Thanks for this. I was thinking something of the same idea. I would love to see more pictures when it is done. Very smart idea though!

gurley0916

Gurley=Last Name not girl
Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
I built mine tonight. It is a little more crude than yours and used epoxy instead of screws. My deck isnt ipod compatible so i just use a headphone jack plug instead. I used a 90 degree head phone jack then plugged it into the regular cord. The only problem i see with yours is that the ipod might be to far back. Mine was about a 1/2 inch forward to clear the dash. Ill post pics later when I have sunlight. Thanks for the idea though!!

89supraowner

Oct 12, 2009
Fort Myers
im thinking of taking your idea but modding it. like have a button to motorize the ash tray out and then have the ipod laying down inside the ash tray when the ash tray is closed and then when the ash tray comes open from the motorized units the ipod will also flip up. and then have your plexiglass except stained and led lights under it. would be tight but so worth the end result. nice job btw.

gurley0916

Gurley=Last Name not girl
Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
I was thinking the same thing... depends on the ipod, for instance I have a ipod touch so mine was too long either way, and with the top flap holding it in place it sure makes it difficult to fit stuff in.