ARP Main Stud Washers- Absolutely Necessary???

green jester

Oct 18, 2009
Melbourne
Are the main stud washers absolutely necessary with the main studs?? As they are studs, will there be any issues, potential problems without the washers?
I assume there will be but cannot be sure as I am not well versed with the pronciples of washers and their applications.

MKIIITurbo88

May 15, 2012
Michigan
The washers assist in distributing the torque load over the surface of the head. If you do not use them, you risk possibly digging the nut into the cylinder head machined 'washer' surface.

Also, when you put in arm head studs, make sure to put the head on, then insert the studs with washers on the studs... otherwise, the washers will not clear the raised bosses for the cam.

egesledder

Mar 26, 2012
Boulder, CO
MKIIITurbo88;1846535 said:
The washers assist in distributing the torque load over the surface of the head. If you do not use them, you risk possibly digging the nut into the cylinder head machined 'washer' surface.

Also, when you put in arm head studs, make sure to put the head on, then insert the studs with washers on the studs... otherwise, the washers will not clear the raised bosses for the cam.

He was asking about the main studs, not head studs, but the same info applies. Your torque won't be correct either because of the friction difference.

green jester

Oct 18, 2009
Melbourne
Yes, I agree. Unfortunately they were forgotten and the sump is on. I didn't do the work, nor will I be able to take the sump off and re-fit the mains either. So the more I understand the importance of the washers- the better I can justify my insistence on the sump removal, etc, and the washers being used.

veedubin

Official SM Decals
green jester;1846720 said:
Yes, I agree. Unfortunately they were forgotten and the sump is on. I didn't do the work, nor will I be able to take the sump off and re-fit the mains either. So the more I understand the importance of the washers- the better I can justify my insistence on the sump removal, etc, and the washers being used.

Umm.... whoever did the work needs to fix it. Especially if you paid any amount of money for the work. And let us all know his info so no one else gets burnt.

Sent from my LG-P504 using Tapatalk 2