ARP head studs vs ARP head bolt kits??

nofx230

Jan 24, 2012
Colorado
whats the big difference? and is the extra 100 bucks for the ARP head stud kit really worth it? won't the ARP head bolts hold just as good if you install them the right way or is it all about the stud kit just giving you a more accurite tourqe reading.

nofx230

Jan 24, 2012
Colorado
chased? wouldn't you have to chase the threads on the head bolts too or when you say "chased" you mean just taking the threads further down in the block?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
The stock head bolts miss the last 1/4 of the threads in the block and over years they fill with crud and corrosion, the ARP's are longer and if you don't chase the holes you can't screw them all the way in by hand, I would never retro fit stud in a running engine it's something I leave to do on a stand so I can be sure the threads are spotless, if they're full of oil they will hydraulic giving a false Tq and then back off as the oil bleeds down.

nofx230

Jan 24, 2012
Colorado
yeah probably just going to get the ARP head bolt kit i understand that you get a quarter more thread to grab onto in the block with studs but you still only have 3/8th of thread holding the head down on top with the nuts correct me if I'm wrong but thats what I'm seeing

nofx230

Jan 24, 2012
Colorado
but on the plus side id rather strip out a nut and put in a new stud than strip out threads in a block

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
The Early blocks are prone to cracking from the Bolt holes to the steam holes next to them, extra thread engagement is a good thing, that 10mm of steel in the nut is probably equal to the entire length of cast iron strength wise!

Are you pulling the head to do this job?

nofx230

Jan 24, 2012
Colorado
yeah doing a HG and the heads coming off just trying to figure out what route i wanna go with it the blocks not coming outta the car, yeah i know i should pull it and its not that I'm not capable its just i don't have the space or lift

nofx230

Jan 24, 2012
Colorado
yeah iv used that trick before usually just use the tap and penetrating oil and blast it out with compressed air hold much of the thread when using the arp bolt actually grab the block??? and is it common for threads in the block to strip on 7m's most the work iv done was on 22r's 2rz's and 3rz's my car has bout 110,000 on it and has never seen salt

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Dunno on the bolts I've always used Studs in my engines, not common to strip a thread at all the Cast Iron is some of the hardest I've ever machined in an engine block, as I said earlier more prone to cracks in the Earlies, Air is fine as long as everything else is sealed up and there's no chance of blowing crap into it, Hope you intend to install a composite HG in this thing and not an MHG.

nofx230

Jan 24, 2012
Colorado
lmao,thats part of the reason I'm redoing the HG, because the guy i got the car from had put in a MHG and i know he didn't machine the block! probably use a oem toyota HG

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
nofx230;1799015 said:
lmao,thats part of the reason I'm redoing the HG, because the guy i got the car from had put in a MHG and i know he didn't machine the block! probably use a oem toyota HG
Good to hear :)

MDS kits use "Stone" gaskets and Viton rubber parts if you can find one, "Stone" is an OEM supplier.

nofx230

Jan 24, 2012
Colorado
well about felpro or the composite HG they got on horsepowerfreaks.com just want to steer on the save side, never really had to work on a motor where the HG was so important, with toyota 4 bangers id just toss any ol HG and it would be good to go but i also wasn't running 15lbs of boost!