ARP head studs or bolts?

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
arp faq's said:
3. Do the head studs only go in hand tight?

The studs should be installed finger tight. Then, when applying torque to the nut, the stud will stretch only on the vertical axis. An undercut shorter stud will have a rate similar to a longer, standard shank stud. This provides a more even clamping force on the head. Because the head gasket will compress upon initial torquing, make sure studs (or bolts) are re-torqued after the engine has been run.

http://www.arp-bolts.com/FAQ/FAQ.html

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Comming from Hondas..im used to working on aluminum blocks. That said, studs are always better than bolts if your using a aluminum block. Reason i say this is i had a head problem with my motor once so the head came off the block about 5 times. After a while a few headbolt holes stripped.(i wasnt the one who took the head off the first 3 times) So after spending 200 bucks for some guy to install time-serts in 4 bolt holes...I got studs. Now they never have to come out of my block unless i need to rebuild it and i torqued the head to 90ft/lbs instead of the stock 60ish. Oh and hondas use a MLS headgasket stock. Now im sure iron blocks are different but im pretty sure you can still torque studs waaay higher than you can torqe bolts.
Studs pull the head down with all the force already spread on the threads in the block. If i am ever in the position that i need to change headbolts or it is a performance engine..i will always use studs. This is straight from the link posted above..Studs also provide more accurate and consistent torque loading.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
ARP FAQs said:
The studs should be installed finger tight. Then, when applying torque to the nut, the stud will stretch only on the vertical axis. An undercut shorter stud will have a rate similar to a longer, standard shank stud. This provides a more even clamping force on the head. Because the head gasket will compress upon initial torquing, make sure studs (or bolts) are re-torqued after the engine has been run.