ARP head studs, main studs, rod bolt questions

walkertx2008

Vivian is a bad Bitch
Oct 1, 2008
Robins Air Force Base, GA
I'm looking at buying rod bolts, main studs/bolts and head studs/bolts. what I'm wondering is first off do i actually need all of those? I'm only going to do a few small upgrades hopefully to pull maybe 400 hp, and i know i don't need to go all out on internal upgrades for that but i also know that the ARP parts are good for helping the engine perform easier. pretty much any information on these parts and what i actually need to know about them would be helpful, thanks guys.

gottadiesel

Flyin Low
Feb 16, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
IMO - You need the head bolts, yet I am making assumptions as to what upgrades you will be doing to get to 400hp... the Main and Rods, once again imo are a good idea, perhaps not needed, but a in-expensive upgrade during a re-build. So my statement made another assumption that you did not say one way or the other, are you doing a re-build of the motor? What stage of upgrade are you in?

walkertx2008

Vivian is a bad Bitch
Oct 1, 2008
Yes I am rebuilding the motor, I found a full rebuild kit for $300 that has the water pump assembly timing belt assembly, full gasket kit, new pistons, rings, and main bearings. I figured since I'm gonna rebuild the engine I could go ahead and put the ARP stuff in it and a new metal headgasket. And right now I haven't even started the upgrade but its only gonna be small stuff, originally I was gonna revamp the entire engine with bigger better performance everything but I realized that would take too long and cost way too much, so I'm trying to just do some minor to moderate upgrades to pull some fun power out of it but also not go stupid crazy.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I would definitely use ARP for the head - studs are the best. Make sure you use the ARP torque spec and moly lube included in the package.

If you go with ARP rod/main bolt, you will need to get the rod ends resized with the ARPs torqued down. Same for the mains, except that's a line bore. Both are a good idea anyway.

walkertx2008

Vivian is a bad Bitch
Oct 1, 2008
i do, the only problem is i am the only one in my family who is into cars so all i know i have taught myself, and this is the first time i am going to be something as extensive as rebuilding an entire engine... i know that's kinda retarded me not knowing alot of these things but any help you have would be much appreciated... so do i need both the bolt kit and stud kit or just the stud kit?

walkertx2008

Vivian is a bad Bitch
Oct 1, 2008
so if any one else could help me with the questions i have that would be great, i dont know alot but i am doing my best to learn and get my car back on the road where she should be. so if any one could tell me if i need both the stud kit and bolt kit or just the stud kit that would be awesome. thanks

walkertx2008

Vivian is a bad Bitch
Oct 1, 2008
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/87-9...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4a9f7a7776

that should be it.

---------- Post added at 04:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 PM ----------

the only thing is when i was talking to them about pressures and what not, they said the kit would sustain all stock compressions but they were not sure if it would withstand even minor upgrades. so i just purchased a new gasket kit and im going to see what i can find in aftermarket parts that are stock sizes because i don't have the resources to bore my engine or any thing. if they had told me that it would withstand upgrades with no issues i probably would have bought it because it looks like a decent kit, but i didnt want to take the chance.