Arknotts' 92 Teal Build

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
winsauce;1679749 said:
is it just me or are all the pic links broken? seen the car from the vids and looks nice, fix those links asap cant wait to see progress on this thing.

They are working for me. Every now and then my web server goes down for a minute or two; maybe you caught it at a bad time.

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
Got the BOV and IAT flanges welded on the intercooler pipe back in March:

Some updated pics of the engine bay:

Got the engine running 90% perfect on the Maft Pro! Only headache I had was the lean spike at part throttle and vacuum to boost transition. I was able to solve that with the enhanced TPS feature of the Maft Pro :). Right now the AFR is a consistent 11.1 +/- 0.1 at full throttle/full boost (~15 psi with the AVCR). I'm going to tweak the AFR drop-off from vacuum to boost once the weather clears up here (if it EVER does :3d_frown:) and then post some graphs from my logs!

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
thedave925;1713144 said:
Glad to hear the maft pro is working out. What version keeps your ride stable?

Version 5.27. It was a little trickier to set up, but only because there wasn't as much documentation for the Supra as the 4.x versions. Love the MAFT Pro so far, but it would be nice to see some better documentation!

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
Finally some nice weather this weekend! Took a short video with my camera mounted to the rear of the car. Skip to 2:10 if you're only interested in the full throttle part :)

[video=youtube;l_vr5wIiLoQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_vr5wIiLoQ[/video]

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
Installed energy suspension polyurethane bushings in the front:

Had to get a press to get the old bushings out:

...note to anyone trying to get the metal sleeves out of the LCAs: an air hammer works WONDERS. All finished with grease fittings on the LCAs:

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
Engine is out! One FUBAR'd shifter housing means a lesson learned: make sure you push the transmission DOWN through the shifter hole or it will get "mysteriously" stuck despite all attempts to free it... :: angry ::. That spare R154 will come in handy now. Otherwise everything went just fine :).

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
Getting down to the bare block:

Looks like I had a BHG after all...only symptom I noticed was a rough idle on warm start:

Cylinder 1:

Cylinder 3:

Cylinder 6 (worst):

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
No replies!? I thought everyone loved a good engine teardown... :)

New parts starting to come in! Eagle rods and Fidanza adjustable cam gears. I was hesitant about the Eagle rods initially, but they have supposedly stepped up their quality. They all seem machined very well and all weighed within a gram of each other!

DSC_0714.JPG

Long runner exhaust manifold made by Seth. Will be good as new with a little TLC!

DSC_0713.JPG

Horsepower Freaks bronze clutch rated to 650 rwhp, ATI super damper and a new Gates timing belt:

DSC_0712.JPG

And oddly enough I found a 6M crankshaft in (what I thought was) a 92 block! Trying to decide now whether I want to keep it or swap for a 7M crank.

DSC_0711.JPG

gurley0916

Gurley=Last Name not girl
Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
I heard the 6m are better cause you get a little more rev out of them cause they dont have the other counter balances on the crank.

Very interested to see if the HPF bronze clutches can really hold torque! I'm kind of worried about my ACT sprung 6 puck lasting and am looking to upgrade, but don't need a twin or triple disc yet haha. 650 at the wheels is a pretty high claim.

jonny87turbo

Dec 9, 2006
ohio
Hows it going.. Your build looks like its commin along good. I believe you live some what close to where I live. What turbo are you putting on it? I Take it you are staying with the r-154?

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Is it just me or does that look like it says 8m??

And I'd rather have the 7m crank for a high revving engine because the crank is better balanced.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
gurley0916;1788135 said:
I heard the 6m are better cause you get a little more rev out of them cause they dont have the other counter balances on the crank.

While it's true the redline on the ECUs was higher, since they don't have all of the counterweights I've heard they aren't as smooth as the 7M crank at higher RPMs. The only real "issue" I've heard is that at very high RPMs (7.5K+) for extended periods of time it may wear the bearings more (via IJ).

rtrdpenguin;1788140 said:
Very interested to see if the HPF bronze clutches can really hold torque! I'm kind of worried about my ACT sprung 6 puck lasting and am looking to upgrade, but don't need a twin or triple disc yet haha. 650 at the wheels is a pretty high claim.

There are a few MKIV guys that have the same setup (HPF bronze disc with ACT PP) and it's holding very well:

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?506554-Horsepower-Freaks-Bronze-clutch-w-ACT-PP

But of course time will tell!

jonny87turbo;1788143 said:
Hows it going.. Your build looks like its commin along good. I believe you live some what close to where I live. What turbo are you putting on it? I Take it you are staying with the r-154?

Yeah I'm in North Canton/Uniontown. You're in Canton right? I'm pretty much set on the Full-Race Borg Warner S362 88/75, and yeah I'm sticking with the R154.

borgwarner-s300sx-88-75-turbo-0.jpg

Backlash2032;1788144 said:
Is it just me or does that look like it says 8m??

And I'd rather have the 7m crank for a high revving engine because the crank is better balanced.

It looks like 8M, but really is "6M" which is the crank that was used in the 86.5-89 engines. I'm surprised since I thought this was the original block that came in my 92. Anyone know how to read the serial numbers on the block and tell when it was cast?

jonny87turbo

Dec 9, 2006
ohio
Ya im actually in the out skirts of alliance area. So im really only 20 min away from canton if that. That looks like a sweet turbo. Im curious to see what numbers your going to put down. That thing will deffinitely scream. Do you plan on tuning it yourself? Are you going to have your transmission built up?

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
jonny87turbo;1788228 said:
Ya im actually in the out skirts of alliance area. So im really only 20 min away from canton if that. That looks like a sweet turbo. Im curious to see what numbers your going to put down. That thing will deffinitely scream. Do you plan on tuning it yourself? Are you going to have your transmission built up?

Ah I'm out your way when we go to Texas Roadhouse :)

I tuned my 57 trim myself and got a decent tune out of it. I'll probably give this a safe base tune but take it to someone who can safely max out its potential on pump gas. I'll be looking for someone who has experience with a Maft Pro come spring if anyone knows of someone. Transmission is staying stock for now. I'd love a Marlin Crawler rebuild but it's not in the budget right now. I have a spare R154 just in case I grenade the one that's in there... :p

On a side note, I'm sure my single Walbro pump will run out of steam with this turbo. At some point I'm looking at sumping the tank and going with an external Aeromotive A1000. Any fuel system upgrades from here on out are going to be E85 compatible...hint hint. I probably won't run it next year but would like to in the future, if only I could find stations around here that carry it.

jonny87turbo

Dec 9, 2006
ohio
Ya thats one of the only good places to eat in alliance lol..
Hmm I dont know if you have heard of them or not but there is a place in canton called smokeys dyno. You can give them a call im sure they would be interested in your car. I took mine to slowmotion motorsports in columbus I reccomend him to anyone.
I have rebuilt a few of the r-154s. Let me know if your interested. I may be taking the r-154 I rebuilt with all marlin crawlers aftermarket parts out ;) , And putting in a th350. I have mixed feeling about going to an automatic though.
Very nice supra btw.
If you ever want to go crusing or head up my way in the supra let me know.