Arknotts' 92 Teal Build

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
My name is Andy, and I have a 92 Teal that I've just started to build. I originally had an '87 shell that I was going to fix and drop a 7M in, but due to school and other things didn't have the time or motivation to finish it. I bought the 92 in March '09 from another member on here (although he isn't as active on here). It's a California car, so no rust (well, almost)! This is significant to me, since I live in the rust belt. I just drove it and enjoyed it over the summer with minimal mods (BIC rerouted DDP, HKS Dual Evolution Exhaust, 10-11 psi boost). My daily is an '01 Prelude (not as fast but still fun in its own way :icon_bigg), so the Supra is my weekend warrior.

My goal is to have a fully rebuilt engine powered by a GT35R hoping to reach at least 500rwhp. Rich (suprarich) is local to me so he will likely be doing all of the machine work and giving me some direction along the way. Until it comes time for the rebuild (maybe next winter), I've started on some basic supporting mods over the winter that include:

- Walbro 255lph fuel pump
- Aeromotive AFPR
- PWR radiator
- Sethron long runner FFIM w/ 80mm throttle body
- Precision turbo 600HP FMIC
- 2.75" intercooler piping
- Battery relocation to the hatch
- McKinney Race Works oil catch can
- Basic maintenance (change brake fluid, coolant, etc.)

Some of these are done, others are in progress, others are still waiting. I have a bunch of pictures of the process so far, so I have some catching up to do in this thread. I also plan on updating a blog on my website with the build, so if you would like to subscribe via RSS or some other media, feel free:

http://www.andyknotts.com/blog/

I plan on getting this thread up-to-date, but in the mean time here is the car:

trailer_01.JPG

4-4-09_03.JPG

4-4-09_06.JPG

4-4-09_08.JPG

4-4-09_11.JPG

6-6-09_13.JPG

6-6-09_02.JPG

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
To catch up, here are a few things I did over the summer.

Autometer mechanical boost gauge with Lotek pillar pod:

boostgauge_13.JPG

boostgauge_21.JPG

Shaftmasters 1-piece aluminum driveshaft:

Compared to the stocker:
driveshaft_02.JPG

Nice quality joints:
driveshaft_03.JPG

This was my excuse to replace it. The stock driveshaft had some rust on the yoke, causing transmission fluid to leak badly:
driveshaft_06.JPG

Installed:
driveshaft_16.JPG

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
Removed the intake manifold getting ready for the Sethron long runner FFIM!

Dirty fuel rail (note to self: replace those valve cover gaskets!)
fuel_1.JPG

fuel_3.JPG

Removed the bumper for the Precision FMIC install:
intercooler_2.JPG

All of the parts for the AFPR install:
build_07.JPG

Aeromotive AFPR. This thing is a work of art!
afpr_09.JPG

I bent the bracket so I can mount it to the firewall:
afpr_16.JPG

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
Stock intake manifold removed:

manifold_removal_1.JPG

manifold_removal_2.JPG

PWR radiator:
pwr_02.JPG

pwr_06.JPG

pwr_07.JPG

pwr_08.JPG

Test fit (no the fan shroud isn't installed in these pictures, it will be on the final install):
pwr_11.JPG

pwr_12.JPG

gurley0916

Gurley=Last Name not girl
Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
arizzle;1492257 said:
haha yeah soo true and 2 are 7m :evil2:

I got nothing against the 7m...I just wanted to experiment is that so wrong :biglaugh:

By the way I love the rims you have on that car!

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
PHP:
gurley0916;1492392 said:
I got nothing against the 7m...I just wanted to experiment is that so wrong :biglaugh:

By the way I love the rims you have on that car!

Thanks! As much as I like the wheels, I'm actually thinking of changing it up a bit with some different ones. If anyone is interested shoot me a PM!

Supra28

Supramanian
Aug 17, 2006
Columbus, OH/Kansas
Though I'm not a fan of teal, your car is nice. Congrats on the purchase.

On a side note, what's done to the BB6? What's the wheel specs and suspension setup? It's nice.

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
Supra28;1492987 said:
On a side note, what's done to the BB6? What's the wheel specs and suspension setup? It's nice.
Just basic bolt-ons. It's my DD so I need it to be reliable (which is has been) :). In summary:

- Mugen header & Mugen catback exhaust
- Rota subzeros, 17x7.5" +45 offset
- Koni Yellow shocks w/ Ground Control adjustable coilovers
- OEM front lip, Mugen replica sides & rears

...and other small things, but those are what matter most.

Supra28;1492993 said:
I was on youtube and just happened to see a vid of your car LOL. "Sending Off My '92 Supra"

Yep, that's the video from the previous owner. Here is mine from when it was dropped off :icon_bigg:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUkQQvLXiao

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
That car is beautiful! good luck with the power goals. I know Rich won't steer you wrong.

BTW...I know of a Teal that looks very good sitting far back in the woods near me. It looks great, but never moves. I'm guessing BHG or Rod Knock. I will be going to make an offer as soon as I have a little cash, and my new Postal Carrier job should make that possible soon.

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
I've been collecting a lot of parts. I need to get busy installing them...though it's 12 degrees right now! I do hope to have it back on the road for the spring though.

Taylor battery box with 1-gauge welding cables:
batbox_1.JPG

batbox_2.JPG

McKinney Race Works oil catch can with 1/2" 90º fittings :love: :
cc_1.JPG

cc_2.JPG

cc_3.JPG

CX Racing (yes from eBay) 2.75" universal intercooler piping kit. I am VERY impressed with the quality of this kit being from eBay. I'll have more pictures of it unwrapped when I install it.
cx_piping_1.JPG

cx_piping_2.JPG

cx_piping_3.JPG

Raptor distribution block for the battery relocation. I'm thinking of ditching this for a Stinger block that also monitors voltage and amperage. The cover for this came damaged and the company isn't working with me to replace it. Luckily it was only $8.
distblock_1.JPG

distblock_2.JPG

distblock_3.JPG

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
Removed the fuel tank. I couldn't get the fuel feed fitting off so I had to cut it :thumbsdow:
tank_1.JPG

tank_2.JPG

After a little cleanup:
tank_3.JPG

tank_5.JPG

To my surprise it was clean as a whistle inside!
tank_6.JPG

tank_7.JPG

tank_8.JPG

My replacement fuel line and filter: (filter probably doesn't need changed, but while I have the tank dropped I might as well for $27)
fuelfilter.JPG

Fuel rail cleaned up and polished (half is polished other half is not to show difference):
fuelrail_1.JPG

fuelrail_2.JPG

Precision 600 hp intercooler. 31.5" L x 8" H x 3.5" D. I figure this will give me the most cooling capacity without cutting into the front bumper.
precision_intercooler.JPG

One of the only places this car has rust. I am grinding this down and coating it with POR-15. This way it will NEVER rust again, even if it gets filled with water.
spare_well_1.JPG

S-MAX vacuum distribution block:
vacmanifold.JPG

Walbro 255LPH installation:
walbro.JPG

walbro_2.JPG

walbro_3.JPG

walbro_4.JPG

Innovate Motorsports XD-16 wideband (comes with LC-1 controller):
xd-16.JPG