Aristo 2J starts but dies/ won't idle (video)

padraigmk3

undead
Oct 12, 2010
nova scotia
Hey guys, I'm completing my 2JZGTE swap. I can get it to start, but it won't idle for more than a couple of seconds before the rpm's drop to where it dies, sometimes making what sounds like a sneeze or squeak noise. Applying any throttle at all immediately kills it. Would this typically be a problem related to the TPS and/or IACV?

Video of what's happening:

http://youtu.be/lauigsfHR98

[video=youtube_share;lauigsfHR98]http://youtu.be/lauigsfHR98[/video]

It seems like maybe I need to clean/replace the IACV or calibrate/replace the TPS? Also, when I remove the key from ignition the car doesn't power off, the dash and external lights stay on.

padraigmk3

undead
Oct 12, 2010
nova scotia
scottiedawg66;1962991 said:
it could be a lot of different things. i think you should pull out a spark plug and have a look and post up a picture.

Good idea, I'll be able to post a photo of the old plugs in a couple of minuets.

padraigmk3

undead
Oct 12, 2010
nova scotia
scottiedawg66;1962991 said:
it could be a lot of different things. i think you should pull out a spark plug and have a look and post up a picture.

HYvj1P3.jpg

c4phBBl.jpg

Here are two of my plugs, they were all pretty heavily grimed up and fouled. I replaced them with new G-power NGK Platinum Spark Plugs. Could this be caused by something as simple as the fuel pump turning off after ignition because I don't have an aristo/supra mk4 'fuel pump control module'?

Attachments

• HYvj1P3.jpg
    HYvj1P3.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 3

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
No that wouldn't be the issue.

Map sensor hooked up properly?

Isc working properly?

Have you checked for codes?

padraigmk3

undead
Oct 12, 2010
nova scotia
hvyman;1963590 said:
No that wouldn't be the issue.

Map sensor hooked up properly?

Isc working properly?

Have you checked for codes?

Just wanted to let everyone know I found the problem, it was the rookie mistake of needing to keep the fuel pump on after ignition. I'll leave this thread up so other people can learn from my mistake haha.