Aristo 2J non vvti Swap only runs with TPS unplugged

86supra7mge-t

Oct 2, 2005
Brew City, WI
Hello SM,

I recently completed a 2J non vvti Aristo swap in my 86.5 N/A. It started up first try however it had bad idle surge and would not rev past 2k RPM. I replaced TPS, calibrated it to spec, and now car will not run unless TPS is unplugged. It then runs very rich however it idles great. It will still not rev over 2k RPM or so. Similar to a rev limiter.

Tested the voltage on the TPS connector with it unplugged from TPS. Key in ACC position:

IDL: 12 volts

VCC: 1.7 volts

VC: 5 volts

Ohms check out on new TPS as well. I have a different ECU coming Tuesday to try. I also replaced coolant temp sensor. CEL is on, however when jumping TE1 and E1 it just stays as a solid light..no blinks. Double checked wiring as well.

Any ideas for me? Thanks for the help!

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
There should be 4 wires for the tps. vc vcc idl and e2.

vc 5 volts
e2 ground
vcc should vary depending and how far the throttle is open. 0-5v
idl should olny show a signal when the thottle is closed like when ideling. should not be 12v either. So if you have 12v your wiring is wrong.

86supra7mge-t

Oct 2, 2005
Brew City, WI
Yes sir IDL shows 12 volts. I did not mention E2 since it's a ground, however that wire did show 0.0 volts so I'm good there.

Does it make a difference that the 12 volts I read on IDL was with the connector unplugged from the TPS with the key to the acc with the car off? I'll have to check it with car on, if it makes a difference.

Thanks for the reply.

Dave

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Should only be seeing voltage to the tps in the on position.

And you should not be seeing more than 5 to the tps. And the idl wire should only show voltage with the tps plugged in.

Who ever did your harness cross a wire or used the wrong wire.

86supra7mge-t

Oct 2, 2005
Brew City, WI
Its a stock Aristo harness and I never touched those wires. I only spliced in my body plugs. Is it possible the idl wire is grounding out inside the ECU? All other TPS wires check out.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
That is highly unlikely.

The tps circuit only uses 5 volts and that wire only gets voltage if the tps is in the idl positon.

I would retrace your steps in what you did with your harness.

86supra7mge-t

Oct 2, 2005
Brew City, WI
Installed new TPS and calibrated it. Car now idles great and can rev if given about 25% throttle or less. Any more than that it hits a rev limiter of some sort around 2k rpm at 50% throttle, and a rev limit of about 1k rpm at WOT.

CEL is on but will not save codes. Whenever I check for codes the light just remains sold.

I'm going to replace fuel filter. Any ideas?

Thanks