Are Super Monitors not rare anymore?

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
I have had one for sale for 3 weeks.. Keep lowering the price and no one has even PM'd me on it or had any interest in it.. Just wondering if it was not that rare anymore?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
And they only came in some 87-88 cars so anyone with 89+ prolly doesnt want to go through the hassle of hardwiring it in.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Ya its got its own ecu. Tho you need one specific for turbo or n/a tho. A couple people on here have done it.

89supracrazy

Oct 31, 2009
wise
mattsplat72;1630075 said:
Really, didn't know that. What does the super monitor do? Why would someone what to hard wire into a car that didn't have it? Serious question not busting balls.

You can research super monitor and it will tell you about it. They are some post around here talking about it. I have one also.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
I put one in my 90. Was alot of work. The SM was really a very strange project for Toyota. It was hugely expensive at the time and added things like code reading which the average owner would never want so it was not a popular option. The economy stuff is nice, but since the fuel gauge is not connected as an input like on modern mpg meters, you have to manually reset the range and consumption variables after every fill-up.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
I bought 2 within a week from each other, 1 from a junkyard for $25, and the other here on SupraMania for $35...

while they are kinda rare, they're not really in demand, as having the wiring for it is a hit or miss, and no 89+ has wiring, so it must be hard-wired, a pretty hard thing to do if you have no idea what wire goes where...

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
mattsplat72;1630125 said:
Yeah I figured as much. Kinda seems like a novelty. I do however like the code checking part. I moved my diag box into my glove compartment when I did my swap. It is alot easier to pull codes from in the car instead of hoping out.

A simple set of wires and a classy pushbutton switch cures that. I never got out of my car to check codes. Push the button, CEL blinks. :)

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
mattsplat72;1630338 said:
^ good idea. maybe I will move and install a switch to the coin holder behind the Tems switch.

Or just find an OEM headlight squirter button and press that to run your codes. Or even better, if you have no A/C, disconnect that button from the A/C system and use that to run the codes as it will stay on so no holding the button down. (works well for setting timing, too;)) Could mount one in the coin holder too, or hook one in to an old TEMS switch. There are plenty of stock looking ways to pull it off. Just use your imagination. Another option is to install a small, inconspicuous push button switch to the side of the driver's seat.

I personally like the OEM approach.