Are my turbos died ?

Deeznuts

Apr 24, 2005
VA
Folks!!

Here I am minding my own buisness and a Dodge Caliber Turbo pulls nxt to me at a light only to get his ass whipped but the MKIII 1JZ.... Ofcourse..... But now the turbos wont spool :-( . I they try to boost but wont see over 1 psi and when they do they fluctuate and make a naste noise almost like a rough spooling sound. the idle hasnt changed so if its a intake leak its not enough to cause the turbos not to boost and I dont hear a diff in exhaust for it to be a exhaust leak. Is this a common sign of the CT-12As death?

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
I dont know, are your turbos died?
Sorry, couldnt resist.

I find it hard to believe that 2 turbos quit at the same time, unless their oil supply was cut off. Not familiar with 1jz, i dont know if they share an oil feed or have separate lines, good question for someone else. Look for boost leak.

CFSapper

AKA Slient_sniper
Apr 24, 2006
Chilliwack
well they are normally a silver colour so if there any other colour like red or blue or yellow then yes there are dyed :naughty:

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
LOL thats a funny title. I think there will be 90% responses to the title and 10% to the problem. but no it doesnt sound like its your turbos, sounds like you have a really "naste" :biglaugh:boost leak.

Deeznuts

Apr 24, 2005
VA
I've had a boost leak before and ofcourse the idle will change. In this cause the idle hasnt changed. :nono:

Yall like my title:naughty:

Feb 28, 2008
North Babylon, New York
i dont think the idle would change probably a boost leak when i use to blow off intercooler piping completly off it didnt change the way the car idle felt very under powered wit no boost but yea check your piping at least start with that first

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
It doesn't seem very likely that they would both "died" at the same time, but if that were the case, you should definitely read deeper into it than turbos as you may have an oil feed problem.

Then again, they are ct12a's, so take that for what it is, but I'd still want to look into it further to find out if it will happen again...

A boost leak is a very noticeable noise/sensation IMO.. But it's a good place to start... definitely the cheapest... You should check all connections and gaskets. Make a pressure tester and get some soapy water.

Deeznuts

Apr 24, 2005
VA
Hard pipe with t bolt clamps. Aaron said pull the pipe and put your hand by it. He said even at idle I would feel some pressure if not the turbo may be died. One may have already been out rather than them both going at the same time.

Deeznuts

Apr 24, 2005
VA
I let the car sit for awhile before pulling the IC pipe to see if i felt pressure with the car in neutral and giving it some throttle. I felt air moving very distinct so I pulled the pipe of the rear turbo (being that it would be the most difficult to get to) and checked for shaft play. I found none took the car for a drive and it boosted fine. Im wondering now if the ECU or the MAP is going bad.