AR5 Trans Take Two: The Solstice Solution

Isphius

Supra-less :(
May 30, 2006
long branch
Revival here, but is there a way to use this trans with a 1jz(im sure if the 7m bellhousing works the 1jz will bolt onto the trans too?), and to get around the expensive driveshaft yoke and welded shifter cage? (if there isnt, ill buy one from you! lol)

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
Isphius said:
Revival here, but is there a way to use this trans with a 1jz(im sure if the 7m bellhousing works the 1jz will bolt onto the trans too?), and to get around the expensive driveshaft yoke and welded shifter cage? (if there isnt, ill buy one from you! lol)

Yep, you can install the 1JZ bell just like the 7m bell.
The colorado version has a normal GM slip-yoke, but the shifter is further forward than the Solstice version. Either way, you're looking at some amount of custom work.

suprflyusmc1

Dec 13, 2006
Ramona
If this takes off and proves to be as reliable as the r154, I think there'll be a market for items to adapt this to all sorts ofcars not just the supra.

Isphius

May 30, 2006
long branch
limequat said:
Yep, you can install the 1JZ bell just like the 7m bell.
The colorado version has a normal GM slip-yoke, but the shifter is further forward than the Solstice version. Either way, you're looking at some amount of custom work.

so how much would it cost for you to make me a shifter cage like that? or a machine shop? And could a diveshaft shop handle the yoke/shaft mating? (i would like to goto a 1 piece DS in there somewhere too)

earl3

Sep 24, 2007
Dayton, OH
An exerpt from a Hot Rod project car writeup:

Engine: It's an LS7 engine that's completely stock with the exception of a GM Hot cam and custom tri-Y headers. The front accessory drive came from a Cadillac CTS-V, and the radiator is a Griffin-built four-core aluminum unit that measures 22.6 inches wide and 17.4 inches tall.
Power: It made 585 hp and 540 lb-ft of torque.
Transmission: The Solstice transmission wouldn't hold up to the LS7 , so it was substituted with a T56 six-speed from a Chevy SSR pickup

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Not to thread jack, because this is an awesome thread on using new parts/designs to fix problems with our R154 transmissions.

I'd still like to know if the internal parts/gears/etc could be pressed onto the stock shafts, or swapped out so we can use our stock speedo/ABS sensor etc.

The reality is a triple cone setup shifts much nicer than what we have. Also, when I rebuilt the 154, we looked at using a slightly overdrive 5'th, but in the final call, it was only going to net me a few hundred rpm at cruise, so I ditched the idea.

Now. On the subject of a V8 powered Supra? Why are we argueing over transmissions on this people? LOL

Think about it. The best combo for a Twin turbo V8 swap is a built 4 or 5 speed auto. With 800+hp, the auto would be faster at the track too. No loss of boost during shifts, and in traffic it would be a pussycat around town.

If my stroker 7M dies, it goes away, and a twin turbo LS based V8 with 7+L displacement is going to fill the Toyota engine bay. Gauges and ABS would need to be figured out, but really just the rear sensor is needed, and there are plenty of gauges that will work on GM transmisions....

Crap, I'd be another 15 to 25k into this car.. :)

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
If only it were a 6 speed, then I'd be excited.

Adjuster: I'm 100% behind the V8 set-up. A little intimidated though, because to a certain extent you're gonna be flying in uncharted skies, but it seems like a great combination. Lexus V8 power in a MKIII.

I've done a little research on this swap, because I too have an interest in making this happen.

From what I've been able to learn, the hot set-up is 1 UZE block with 3 UZE heads (for reasons I'm sure don't need to be explained to you). But for those unfamiliar with Lexus V8's, the 1UZ has beefer rods and the 3UZ heads flow quite a bit better. And oh my God, a twin turbo set-up....Awesome!

As far as transmission...I couldn't agree more...4, 5, or even dare I say...6 speed auto.

I'm getting moist just thinking about it.

Last edited:

Spaniard

Banned
Oct 21, 2005
La pearla PR
earl3 said:
An exerpt from a Hot Rod project car writeup:

Engine: It's an LS7 engine that's completely stock with the exception of a GM Hot cam and custom tri-Y headers. The front accessory drive came from a Cadillac CTS-V, and the radiator is a Griffin-built four-core aluminum unit that measures 22.6 inches wide and 17.4 inches tall.
Power: It made 585 hp and 540 lb-ft of torque.
Transmission: The Solstice transmission wouldn't hold up to the LS7 , so it was substituted with a T56 six-speed from a Chevy SSR pickup

I have heard other wise from Mallet Performance via several customer service representatives. And I in my opinion, I can see any reason why it wouldnt hold the power.

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
Isphius said:
so how much would it cost for you to make me a shifter cage like that? or a machine shop? And could a diveshaft shop handle the yoke/shaft mating? (i would like to goto a 1 piece DS in there somewhere too)

I had a fabricator weld the shifter housing together. He charged me $60 and I tipped him another $20 because I thought that was too cheap.

Any driveshaft shop can hook you up. Be prepare to PAY, though.

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
why do you guys keep talkinga bout the 1uz...or UZ for that matter? you do know there is an engine out there that is light years better than the UZ, right? if i put a V8 in my Supra, its going to be an UR, with long tubes, X pipe and Dumps... FTW of course. Lest we forget, TRD has a Supercharger in the works for the new UR engine as well. i forsee an LSx competitor coming soon.

If i were to do an LSx motor, itd either be the New cadillac motor or an LS1, poked and stroked to 427; a "motown" if you will.

and FUCK carbs on V8's. EFI is light years better, if you dont know how to use advanced tuning tools like a screwdriver. HP-tuners for the win. My friend has an LS1 in his FD RX7. it puts down 390rwhp and is practically stock. its just a cam in it, a tune, and full exhaust. hes got spray on it now, so its well over 500rwhp and will eat up just about anything it comes across. btw, this is a kid that knew Nothing about swaps or v8 and previously claimed domestics were garbage and "fuck V8's".

as far as the tranny deal... all the ratios listed in the previous pages said the Solstice tranny was a 0.8xx 5th gear ratio, as in, shorter than our stocker. id like to make 5th gear Longer than stock, not shorter.

as for the driveshaft... what about taking the stock AR5 yoke that bolts in, and turn it on a lathe to cut off the flange? then, take it to a Truck driveshaft shop with the Supra driveshaft and say "i want this thing on the front of this driveshaft".

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
lol... fate rewards the adventurous.

im sure the UR would be a tight fit since its a 4cam but 400lb/ft stock is worth it. if it can put a 7000lb truck into the 14's, it oughta do wonders for something half the weight!

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
yeah, thats the one. they get up and go, considering how heavy they are. my car doesnt really dispatch them all to easily from a dig. i mean, ill pull on it, but its not an ass-whooping. if that motor puts a Double-cab 4x4 short bed into a 14.7, imagine would it would do in a standard cab 2wd. that would HAVE to be knocking on the 13 second barrier!

Isphius

May 30, 2006
long branch
flubyux2 said:
and FUCK carbs on V8's. EFI is light years better, if you dont know how to use advanced tuning tools like a screwdriver. HP-tuners for the win.

It is much easier and much cheaper to make more power with a carb. FI just has the advantage or more torque at all rpms, with the same peak torque. Did you ever try tuning an lsx? Its not just "power tuners ftw". Tuning a carb is harder than you would think, And New carbs are typically more advanced and run better than OLD EFI. And they dont take 1000$ worth of electronic upgrades and tuners to get more power out of. All fuel injection does is turn the job a carb does through mechanical means into a ton of wires, sensors, and a computer. Just to do the job of one part. And even the light years ahead stock ls1 F body fuel injection is a 10 year old design now. For the street, Yes, fuel injection is better, but if you are talking about all out power you cannot beat a carb. BTW, Do you know why the carbed version of GMPPs LS1 crate motor is rated at 440 hp? Thats a bit more than stock isnt it? Look that up.

Last edited:

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
1) As someone that has used HP Tuners (see the off topic area for a vid of my friend's 60-145 run) to tune an LS1, and has extensive OBD-1 tuning experience, I will tell you flat out that with a wideband O2 and EGT gauge, it is MUCH easier to tune an EFI system, unless you have no idea what you are doing!

2) Even throttle body injection surpasses the newest and best carbs. Why? Closed loop feedback.

3) The carb'd version of GMPPs crate motor is rated 440hp, yes. But it is NOT an LS1 - it is built from a 6.0L LS2 block. The LS2 is rated at 400hp stock, and frequently lays down 400 hp AT THE WHEELS. Consider drivetrain loss, and you have over 440hp at the flywheel. The carb'd LS2 crate motor uses a different camshaft as well.

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
Depends all on your desire
the toyota engines yield 100+hp per ltr to even do the same with the same with the displacement of the LS engine you would have to crank the compression way up no one likes to run on race fuel 100%of the time toyota tends to be more reliable and being able to turn up the boost on any demand or track moment with injection to compensate for the boost yields dailey driver/race demon

But for the $$ cant beat a cheap american muscle car

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
carbs are lightyears BEHIND port injection

port injection allows tuning of each cylinder if needed.

Not to mention that fuel economy and power are increased with fuel injection because of the better, more consistant, and mixed air/fuel mixture.

This is why the old fuelies (mechanical fuel injection) where so damn powerful and would keep up with an engine far larger.

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
Isphius said:
It is much easier and much cheaper to make more power with a carb. FI just has the advantage or more torque at all rpms, with the same peak torque. Did you ever try tuning an lsx? Its not just "power tuners ftw". Tuning a carb is harder than you would think, And New carbs are typically more advanced and run better than OLD EFI. And they dont take 1000$ worth of electronic upgrades and tuners to get more power out of. All fuel injection does is turn the job a carb does through mechanical means into a ton of wires, sensors, and a computer. Just to do the job of one part. And even the light years ahead stock ls1 F body fuel injection is a 10 year old design now. For the street, Yes, fuel injection is better, but if you are talking about all out power you cannot beat a carb. BTW, Do you know why the carbed version of GMPPs LS1 crate motor is rated at 440 hp? Thats a bit more than stock isnt it? Look that up.

carbs are cheaper, thats about their only upside. most of the time, they arent even much cheaper than say, FAST or Speed-pro or whatever other aftermarket EFI. isnt there a thing called LS1edit or LSedit or something? i hear thats pretty easy. As someone who has tuned AEM cars before... ill tell you that turning a screw is less labor but id rather do the tuning from a seat, not hovering over an engine, checking spark plugs after each pass, changing out floats and needle valves and jets and shit.

as far as connecting a few wires, flashing the ecu and be off and running, id prefer that than taking a carb out of the box and having to dial it in, even if the LS1 electronics are 10 years old. we arent talking about an LT1 here, or a TBI setup from a ck chevy truck.

Doward has the right idea... O2 feedback, map extrapolation, calculating fuel map rows and colums. knock feed back, etc... you cant get that shit w/ a carb, i dont care who you are.