Apexi S-ITC questions

juhanis

2jza70
Jan 11, 2006
Los Gatos, California
so, i installed this thing according to the manuals that i could find for my car, and the car wont start with it installed. everything is zeroed out, and the unit is powered up. i triple checked all the wires, and also called apex-usa about the problem. it still doesnt work, i was wondering if anyone has installed one of these personally and maybe knows of a trick not spoken about in the manual to make it work. when its installed my safc2 registers 0 rpm, and it never moves. the guy i bought it off of claimed it was brand new in the ad, and will not refund my money and isnt working with me on solving my problem. so, i hope i made a mistake somewhere. if it turns out i'm right, i'm going to do whatever i can to ruin his reputation amongst supra owners. i hope someone on here can contribute some advice to help getting this thing to work. by the way, i'm running a stock 1989 7mgte ecu, with all the 7m electronics.

Last edited:

suprahilux

ULTRA Lurker
Jun 12, 2007
conroe, texas
I just installed one in my supra yesterday. Had no problems with it. Fired right up. You say yours is an 89. Is it the early ecu plug or the later. the way to tell is the early has a connector config of 10,18,24 pins per plug. The later is 22,16,26. Something I ran across with mine (an 88) when figuring out where the wires go is apexi doesn't show the hookup for the early connector. I almost used the diagram for the 89+. I had to do a little research on where the wires go. You probably need to verify that you used the correct hookup diagram. I see that apexi lists the one shown for 88.8 to 90.?, but I don't think those are accurate. Some 89 supras have the early plug.

juhanis

2jza70
Jan 11, 2006
Los Gatos, California
suprahilux;1275822 said:
I just installed one in my supra yesterday. Had no problems with it. Fired right up. You say yours is an 89. Is it the early ecu plug or the later. the way to tell is the early has a connector config of 10,18,24 pins per plug. The later is 22,16,26. Something I ran across with mine (an 88) when figuring out where the wires go is apexi doesn't show the hookup for the early connector. I almost used the diagram for the 89+. I had to do a little research on where the wires go. You probably need to verify that you used the correct hookup diagram. I see that apexi lists the one shown for 88.8 to 90.?, but I don't think those are accurate. Some 89 supras have the early plug.

first of all, THANK YOU for posting. i've been waiting for someone to chime in with something useful. secondly, the ecu i have is the newer one, because my car is a 90. i've ran a 89,90,91 ecu in my car. i happen to like the 89 most. i dont know what the hell is going on with mine... could you by any chance give me a diagram of how you hooked the wires up? i just want to compare it with what i have. mine powers up, but my car wont run at all with it installed.

suprahilux

ULTRA Lurker
Jun 12, 2007
conroe, texas
This is the initial source of the manual that I found on the sitc. You want to see p18-19.

http://www.ca.dsm.org/tech-sitc.html

I will have to draw up the pinout for mine later, i don't have time right now.
Also, did you hook up your power wires to the ecu or elsewhere. I just remembered that some piggybacks don't like other power connections. Mine is hooked up to the ecu.

suprahilux

ULTRA Lurker
Jun 12, 2007
conroe, texas
Here is my pinout for the early ecu. I don't know how much use it will be to you, but maybe it will help.

Attachments

• SITC supra early ecu.JPG
    SITC supra early ecu.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 32

juhanis

2jza70
Jan 11, 2006
Los Gatos, California
thank you again, i guess i'll try to install it again and see how that goes. if it doesnt work, i'm going to post some stuff up about the guy who sold it to me. because he claimed it was brand new, and it never worked. he also wont refund my money, so, it's time for everyone to know who he is.

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
Is this on your 2JZ with 7M electronics highbred ?
And if you also can't get your S-AFC to work properly,

juhanis;1272569 said:
i was wondering if anyone has installed one of these personally and maybe knows of a trick not spoken about in the manual to make it work. when its installed my safc2 registers 0 rpm, and it never moves.

I would check your wiring.
Not go blaming some bloke because you screwed something up.

juhanis

2jza70
Jan 11, 2006
Los Gatos, California
suprahilux;1277432 said:
Where did you hook up your ground and power wires the first time? Were they on the ecu or elsewhere?

i hooked it up as stated in the instructions... it just doesnt register rpms at all, no tach movement, nothing. all i do is plug all the wires back in straight though (stock) and its fine.

gofastgeorge;1277703 said:
Is this on your 2JZ with 7M electronics highbred ?
And if you also can't get your S-AFC to work properly,

I would check your wiring.
Not go blaming some bloke because you screwed something up.

my safc works just fine. and it always has. my wiring is also fine, if i remove the itc, the car runs, if its there, it doesnt. the reason the safc does not register any rpm is because the signal coming from the cps isnt passing through the itc like its supposed to. the 2jz has nothing to do with this problem, according to the ecu its a 7m. do i blame the guy i bought it from? HELL YEAH I DO. if he believed in what he sold he would work with me to resolve my problem.

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
juhanis;1278369 said:
the reason the safc does not register any rpm is because the signal coming from the cps isnt passing through the itc like its supposed to.

What?
The RPM signal to the S-AFC is not suposed to 'pass through' the ITC.
It hooks up to a different ECU pin.
Look at the T2-b diagram for the S-AFC:
http://www.apexi-usa.com/pdfWiring/7.pdf
Middle plug, top row, second pin from the right.

First off, do you have the buttons all up or all down?
(the ITC manual can be confusing)
http://ca.dsm.org/Tech/S-ITC-p.02-03.pdf
Note that the smaller rectangle in the switch diagram is the switch position.
So they all need to be up.

Second, all these diagrams are looking 'at the ECU', not looking 'at the plug'.

This is the only 7M-ITC diagram that APEX ever had:
http://ca.dsm.org/Tech/S-ITC-p.18-19.pdf
Which is the later ECU.
So suprahilix's diagram looks correct.
Is this how you wired it up ?

suprahilux

ULTRA Lurker
Jun 12, 2007
conroe, texas
Hold on there gofast, true the itc uses different wires than the safc for ignition, but the itc intercepts the signal from the cam position sensor and adjusts timing by advancing or retarding it then sends it to the ecu. If the ecu doesn't output spark or rpm signal, then something is wrong with the input of the cam sensor or ecu. We can rule out the ecu because it works without the itc which also rules out the cam sensor. That just leaves possibility of either faulty wiring or itc unit itself.

juhanis: First check to make sure the cam sensor wires you are tapping into are red, blue, black and yellow. Those are the colors listed in my 90 supra tsrm. If your itc is not connected to these colors, then check to see if you are on the right wires.

Next, I would suggest plugging in the itc harness to your car. unplug the harness from the itc unit. jump the connector using four wires between peach and white, green and yellow, light blue and blue, brown and orange. You will be bypassing the itc with the jumpers. If the car starts, this will verify that all of the connections are good going from the ecu to the itc unit.

I assume the unit powers up with the ignition sw. Opening sequence: All the knobs turn red and there is a sweep of green from low to high then back down. All knobs stay red until the car is started. Then the knob corresponding to the current rpm will illuminate green.

I would also verify that you have the correct settings on the unit. All the dip switches on the back need to be up and the arrow pointed at the 0. I would have to admit that it took me a couple of glances to figure it out for myself, and I could see how someone could 'guess' wrong. But I am sure that hardly happens.

juhanis

2jza70
Jan 11, 2006
Los Gatos, California
suprahilux;1279669 said:
juhanis: First check to make sure the cam sensor wires you are tapping into are red, blue, black and yellow. Those are the colors listed in my 90 supra tsrm. If your itc is not connected to these colors, then check to see if you are on the right wires.

Next, I would suggest plugging in the itc harness to your car. unplug the harness from the itc unit. jump the connector using four wires between peach and white, green and yellow, light blue and blue, brown and orange. You will be bypassing the itc with the jumpers. If the car starts, this will verify that all of the connections are good going from the ecu to the itc unit.

I assume the unit powers up with the ignition sw. Opening sequence: All the knobs turn red and there is a sweep of green from low to high then back down. All knobs stay red until the car is started. Then the knob corresponding to the current rpm will illuminate green.

I would also verify that you have the correct settings on the unit. All the dip switches on the back need to be up and the arrow pointed at the 0. I would have to admit that it took me a couple of glances to figure it out for myself, and I could see how someone could 'guess' wrong. But I am sure that hardly happens.

yeah, that's a real good idea to test the itc wiring itself. as for the itc, it does indeed do its whole turn on sequence. but the knobs stay the same color because its not getting a signal i believe. so, i guess i'll go back in there and try again like tomorrow. today, i'm working on something interesting. a pressure sensor activated map sensor (vpc)/lexus afm hybrid system, but that's a whole new thread of discussion. thanks again buddy, i'll give that wiring a shot tomorrow, time for me to walk the dog.

Kwaka

Jun 1, 2006
Falls Church, VA
Sorry for bumping up this one year old thread, but I had the same problem, solved now.

I have a 87 7MGE. My engine started without the S-ITC, but didn't want to with the S-ITC plugged.
The wiring was correct (see the diagram posted by suprahilux), all switches up and the arrow on 0. I also did the test by jumping the connectors.

The only thing that was failing was the battery in fact. Even if my car was starting with it, the battery was too old and had not enough electrical power. I changed it for a 77Ah - 760 CCA, and no problem at all now.

I don't know if it's too late for you, but it might help other people.