Anyone with knowledge about LCD HDTV?

Ryan

Mar 22, 2009
Waterford
I am currently looking for a 32" LCD HD TV preferably in 1080p for around the $350-$400 range. I am not too sure what exactly to look for and from what ive seen im probably going to have to go with a 720p to stay in my price range but im hoping that someone on here might be able to help me out. I have a PS3 and therefore Blu ray so I am hoping to be able to get 1080p. possibly 120 hz?

Can Anyone point me in the right direction?
Or does anyone have a hook up somewhere that could help me out?

Thanks
-Ryan

BigKO

Nov 5, 2008
Riverside
check out tigerdirect.com they have been having lots of deals on lcds and the like. good prices, and ive bought from them before, they have fast shipping etc. their holiday shopping sells have brought them into a great price range.

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
I can back up tiger being good. It's hard to recommend a TV for that price though. It would be hard to find a top brand with 120 hz and 1080p for $400 in 32". I recommend saving some more. The TV's in the $600 price range start to get good.

Scot

Enough is Never Enough
Jan 9, 2008
Houston, TX
You are on the right track. At minimum, you need the 1080p to get the most from your PS3 and Blue Ray. Just keep looking.. I bought a 32" Westinghouse 1080p a few years a go for $375 off of Craigs list... It was for my son who was leaving for college.. In fact I use it now and it still works great.

Although I am looking at the Samsung LED's... They are the bomb....

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
If you want a 32 inch you will not need 1080p The screen is so small that it won't make much of a difference. now if you were going 55 inch are so you would definitely want to go with a 1080p. The screen being so freaking big you would notice it. i bought two 32 inch samsung 720 for both my kids rooms and they work great with the ps3. They were $400 a piece. Just make sure you get hdmi cables. They make a huge difference.

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
I can notice the difference with 1080p on my 24" HD monitor vs 720p. Depends on how picky you are though. 720P still looks great.

It's Blu-ray not Blue-ray. I suck at grammar and spelling but since I do know something that's correct I like to share that :p.

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
SupraOfDoom;1482022 said:
I can notice the difference with 1080p on my 24" HD monitor vs 720p. Depends on how picky you are though. 720P still looks great.

It's Blu-ray not Blue-ray. I suck at grammar and spelling but since I do know something that's correct I like to share that :p.

lol. But, yeah true if you are picky you will be able to tell. But for that price if you won't be able to get 1080p. You can get close but it will only be 60hz. Save up and then buy the t.v. you really want.

BigKO

Nov 5, 2008
Riverside
S.A. supra;1482024 said:
lol. But, yeah true if you are picky you will be able to tell. But for that price if you won't be able to get 1080p. You can get close but it will only be 60hz. Save up and then buy the t.v. you really want.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...SL&cm_mmc=Email-_-Main-_-WEM2142-_-tigeremail
while this isnt 120hz, it is 1080p and 32". Not a bad price either. maybe a viable alternative if you dont feel like waiting? this was just a quick search so you may be able to find something better?

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
I fell in love with a 55" Vizio VF550M with 120Hz SmoothMotion technology. It isn't a 240Hz TV, but seeing it side-by-side against Sony and Samsung of comparable size [and higher price] playing the same Blu-Ray movie [Transformers 2], the motion was MUCH smoother - everything just flows. It was off-putting at first because it looked so much different than the others. After watching about half of that movie and comparing between other TVs, I didn't want to watch it on any of the others. Unfortunately, I cannot afford a TV like this. I would like a PS3, and I'm not going to compromise by putting it on something small or standard definition - this will be for "the man room", so I will just wait until I can afford these items. It may take awhile, but I'll be doing it right.
I'm not seeing any TVs like this, even smaller models, for anywhere near your price range. If you hold out and save your money longer, it may be worth it to you. Time always makes good electronics become cheaper.

supraman7mgte

Shut up,bitch!!
Apr 1, 2005
Sunny California
From what i've read,LCD's use less power and run cooler than plasma monitors.
I bought a 52"Sharp Aquios and it has to be the best investment i have made so far.
It's great for the PS3 and satellite tv. I also use it as a computer monitor.

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
This thread will turn very opinionated..... don't be biased. ;)

To be honest, a Blu-Ray movie/HDMI source component on a 32" 720p HDTV
is minuscule in quality difference to a Full 1080p HDTV.
As important as specs are to a consumer, it's equally as important to
make sure you get a brand that you can trust with a good reputation.

Resolution?
Don't think I frown upon a 32" 1080p TV, it's clearly a better solution...
It just boils down to how much money you're really willing to spend.
Hz Rating?
The 60 vs 120 vs 240 Hz discussion - It's so controversial, really.
As it is, you won't be viewing much on TV that will really make 240Hz stand out
over a 120Hz TV...... 60Hz? Not bad quality, obviously. You just don't get that
realistic depth perception as if you were actually standing there watching it happen. ;)
Brands?
Again, this can get very opinionated... but it's clear Samsung sweeps way like
it's nobody's business. Then you've got your Sony, LG, Sharp, Panasonic, Pioneer's...
I'll never knock Vizio as they're a great "Bang-for-the-buck" TV.
(Kind of like buying a Scion) - Nice, reliable, well equipped, but just not quite built like a Lexus.
If you're looking for a reputable, low-priced but popular TV...
Look for brands like Insignia (found at Best Buy), Vizio (Wal-Mart), Dynex, RCA, Phillips, etc.

I've had the opportunity to sell these under the roof of
the biggest electronics retailer in the nation for 4 years,
and now happily cater to the leadership team watching the success. :)

Good luck on your search...

Jeff