Anyone with an engine undercover please take a glance...(composite possibility)

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
If someone with either an engine undercover on their car, or one that is bouncing around in your garage or something please post in here I'd much appreciate it :)

I need the dimensions of the bolt holes and overall dimensions of the stock plastic undercover. I'm in a composites class here at RIT and I need a project...figure if I'm spending money on materials, you bet your ass I'm making something I can use.

Good thing is, if it turns out good, I'll already have the mold and an example part...so reproduction parts would just be parts cost.

If anyone could help me out it'd be great :)

Last edited:

turboguy327

Sep 11, 2009
Rochester ny
Your in rochester then right?? If you are you can come measure my 90 turbo yourself (ill help you as much as I can) if youd like. I can have it up on stands in a garage for you. Just hook me up for a discount if you end up making them. I am in webster off bay road. I dont have a cover on mine but your welcome to it.

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Yup, I'll be back at RIT on Sunday. So you have an undercover on your car or no? I gotta jack mine up today in the driveway to check something out so I could measure the hole distance, but I'd like to get a look at how the undercover is shaped and everything too.

Thanks btw, and it'll be cheap for you cause you're local :p

pparrigo

India Delta OneZero Tango
Feb 12, 2008
WNY
I may go home this weekend, and if I do I can bring my undercover back with me or you to use. Brand new, stickers still on it (never installed, hanging on my garage wall)

Last edited:

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
IJ: Hey, didn't think of that, good point.

pparrigo, if your around this week (or the first week of January) I'd much appreciate it I could grab a look at it, or possibly borrow it in the future (down deposit if you would feel more comfortable that way). I've also got a PM from another member with a used one which I'll take a good look at to compare where it warps/breaks and go from there.

turboguy327: Thanks for the offer! I'll definitely keep that in mind, and probably use you to test the one that comes out just to get someone else's opinion on how it fits.

Travis, supra...sounds good :)

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Awesome! I talked with my professor and I just need to settle one more thing out before I go about ordering the materials this week...which means actual mold construction won't start until after Christmas break (first week of January). Would you feel comfortable giving it to me now, for that long, or rather give it to me later?

And do you want to do a down deposit kind of thing (in case your sketched out) so I don't flee to Mexico with your part? :p

pparrigo

India Delta OneZero Tango
Feb 12, 2008
WNY
SideWinderGX;1471267 said:
Awesome! I talked with my professor and I just need to settle one more thing out before I go about ordering the materials this week...which means actual mold construction won't start until after Christmas break (first week of January). Would you feel comfortable giving it to me now, for that long, or rather give it to me later?

And do you want to do a down deposit kind of thing (in case your sketched out) so I don't flee to Mexico with your part? :p

Giving it to you now is fine. I'm free today from about 1-4, Thursday from about 12-6, and Friday some point after 3 due to senior design.

I trust that you won't run to mexico.... I just hope moldmaking isn't too violent :p

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I bought an undercover brand new a couple years ago. Before installing it, I mapped out the cover on some engineering paper. It's to scale, and should be accurate to within an inch everywhere. It's only 2-D though, so it doesn't have the depth change noted except that most the holes were recessed into the cover by about 2-3".

p1471728_1.jpg

p1471728_2.jpg

p1471728_3.jpg

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
pparrigo: I'm free today the same times and Thursday I'm free after 12, so whichever is good for you...I'll PM you my cell number and you can call/text to figure it out.

Making the mold shouldn't be bad at all haha, but if something goes wrong you get a new one from Toyota :)

Kevin: Will do, I plan on it :)

supra: Awesome, pictures saved! Good reference material, thank you!

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
I haven't called anyone and asked but the general consensus from the searching I did was ~$150 for a stock Toyota one. I'm not sure if that is with the discount some dealerships give to us Supra owners or without. I'll call tomorrow because I'm curious myself.

My laid out plan is to use double bias stitchmat as the base fiberglass with vinylester resin. I'll be doing a bit more research as to its stiffness/ridigity and compare it to the original piece when I meet up with pparrigo. One gallon of resin is ~$45 and a square yard of the stitchmat is ~$6. One gallon impregnates ~3 square yards, so rounding up to half a gallon I'm hoping it should cost about $30 to make it accounting for the materials.

I was up in the air about posting this, thinking 'what if the materials change', 'what if I'm retarded and didn't account for x or y or z' or a few other things...but would rather keep people updated with some information than let it seep further and further back into the forum.